Chapter 9

A/N: oh dear it's been three months again hasn't it
i'm sorry
also
WHEN THE HECK DID THIS GET 20.6 K READS W HAT
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR READS AND YOUR COMMENTS
YOUR COMMENTS ARE WHAT IS INSPIRING ME TO BE WRITING THIS AT MIDNIGHT WHEN I'M SLEEP DEPRIVED
LOVE YOU GUYS
SO SUPRPISE, HERE'S CHAPTER 9 JUST FOR YOU

When Edd got home that afternoon and checked Facebook, he was surprised to see 9 notifications.

'What Internet drama did I get involved in this time?' he muttered to himself, clicking on them.
Someone had posted on his wall. Clicking through, the blood drained from his face as he realised what it was. It was a photo of him and Kevin that morning at recess. He was on Kevin's lap, and Kevin had his arms wrapped around his waist and was pressing a kiss to his cheek.

If the whole school hadn't known before today that Kevin and he were dating, they knew it for sure now.
The comments ranged all the way from “omg they're so cute!!!!!!'' to “i wish they'd both go die in a hole, that's disgusting.''
Edd pinched the bridge of his nose and let out a frustrated sigh. Damn it. What was going to happen at school tomorrow? If what had happened earlier was bad, when half the school didn't know about them, what was going to happen now?

'Only time will tell.' he said aloud to no one in particular, closing the tab and flopping facedown onto his bed.
His English homework was giving him some serious judgemental looks, laying discarded on his desk. He debated for a while what the better option was: lie down and feel sorry for himself, or get a ball-shrinking public lecture from Mrs Jones about his future? In the end, he decided to save the tattered shreds of any dignity at school he may have left, and get on with this homework.

He brought his pencil down with particular venom, piercing a hole in the paper. Great start.

Half an hour later, George Orwell's “Animal Farm” had been reviewed. No metaphor for society had been left uncriticised and he was sure George Orwell was rolling in his grave. Shoving his book back into his bag, he decided to get something to eat and then call it a night. He'd need all his energy for dealing with the dickwads the next day.

~

Sure enough, the very next day, when he and Kevin walked into school holding hands, they were met with a mixture of whispers and glares. An uneasy tension settled over the playground.
A crowd of kids separated as then one and only Mark Armstrong muscled his way through, rolling up his sleeves.
He sidled over to Kevin and Edd, smirking.
'Didn't learn your lesson, then? Still don't know we don't like your kind around here?' he asked sarcastically, cracking his knuckles in what was supposed to be an intimidating display.
'Shut. The. Fuck. Up.' gritted out Kevin, hand tightening around Edd's.

Mark's usually unpleasant facial features contorted with rage, becoming even more unpleasant, and he drew his arm back to swing a right hook, when Hannah Moore came out of nowhere (like really, she just came running out of absolutely nowhere, what the hell) and stood between Kevin and Mark.
'If you want to hurt him, you're gonna have to go through me.' she said threateningly, stepping into Mark's space.

'Woah, I would never hurt a lady.' he said, backing away.

'A girl, however', he continued, looking Edd straight in the eye, 'is a different story all together.'
Hannah's hand shot out and she suddenly had a death grip on Mark's arm.
'You so much as lay a finger on them', she breathed, eyes flashing with anger, 'and I'll kick you in the balls so hard your grand-kids will feel it.'
Mark wrenched his arm out of her iron grip, giving her the finger, and lurched off, most likely to go put some seventh grader's head in a toilet or something.
Without their leader, most of the crowd dissipated.
'Wow.' said Kevin and Edd in unison.

'I guess things will be a lot easier now that we have our own personal body guard.' said Kevin, breathlessly laughing a little.

However, unfortunately, having Hannah Moore as the sole and founding member of the Kevin and Edd Defence Squad wasn't enough to stop the homophobes from throwing things at them, making hurtful jokes, and generally just being asswipes.
Of course, they weren't as stupid as to let themselves be caught. Oh no, they would just covertly deliberately bump into them in the halls, throw basketballs a bit too hard in PE, that kind of thing.

It was a massive relief to be able to walk out of the school gates that afternoon, hand in hand for the first time since that morning.

Walking along in the weak Fall sun, Edd sighed.

'What's up?' Kevin asked, concerned.

'I can't even hold your hand, let alone kiss you, or even look at you the wrong way, at this school. All I want is to be able to show you off to everyone, to be able to kiss you in the halls and be like “Look at this beautiful face that I get to kiss”, but I can't. And it's just – it's just so hard.'

'I know babe, I know. But I promise that we can make up for it when we're not in school. We can make out in the park and make old people uncomfortable. We can dance together at parties. I wanna bring you flowers and hold your hand. Dude, I'm gonna date you so hard.”

With that, Edd's cheeks went a delightful red, making Kevin's lips quirk up in an endeared smile. God, he was so gone for this boy already.

'Plus, we only have a few months of school left, and then we're done. That's it. We can make it.'

Edd nodded in agreement, some of the weight leaving his shoulders. Maybe, no matter what he did, people were going to hate him for it.

They just had to hold on for a few more months.

~

lucky chapter 10, coming at some point in the near future