fifty: the day off

Newt's POV:

A couple days had passed and things had continued to move slow.

Y/n became much more exhausted during the day – she would work hour after hour on labour work, few breaks in between, and then afterwards would have to train Thomas.

Although to be fair, she'd still kick his ass even while being completely sleep deprived.

She barely slept at night – it became surprising for her to get anything more than just two hours in before having to get up and go pick crops from the fields next to the café.

And all of it drove me crazy; she wasn't taking care of herself, and the worst part about it was that she wouldn't allow me to, either. She'd snap at me if I mentioned something about her lack of eating, bark at me when I asked her how much sleep she had gotten and would turn and ignore me when I would offer to help her out.

She is honestly the most stubborn person I've ever met.

And I maintain that view point as I sat around the dinner table, Y/n to my left and Fry to my right as she spoke with Thomas about plans to do with their upcoming trip.

I still despise everything about that, but I remind myself that is should only be a few days – maximum.

"I never said we should work more on knife throwing – for whatever reason you insisted on it."

Y/n's plate sat in front of her, untouched and swarming with food that I could see Fry drooling over from beside me. He had already guzzled down his chicken with bread and butter, whereas Y/n hadn't even started with hers.

Thomas looked slightly frustrated. "I thought it was my weakest point! I was only trying to strengthen what I thought needed strengthening."

A low laugh escaped her throat as she eyed the boy. "Tom, your weakest point is archery, by far. I don't think you have to worry about knife throwing too much."

Fry chuckled at this and Thomas shot him an irritated look from across the table. I used this opportunity to move closer to Y/n, and try to get her to eat or at least bloody drink something before she shrivels up and dies before me.

"Love, you haven't touched your food." I said carefully, adjusting myself ever so slightly nearer to her chair.

She swiveled slowly in her seat to face me. Surprisingly, she didn't seem annoyed or angry that I had suggested she eat something – instead, she said, "I will, don't worry."

It was a nice change, to see a very small smile creep up. Fry and Thomas had dissolved into their own conversation, leaving just us two to listen to one another.

I placed my hand on her knee, trying to be as comforting and kind as I could. "I didn't see you eat lunch today."

She rubbed her forehead slowly. "That's because I didn't," she exhaled quietly. "I didn't get the chance to."

Frowning, I decided to push on. "Why was that? Did the chickens get loose again?"

She chuckled and shook her head. "No, not this time. I was just busy with planting crops and then had to rush off to this idiot over here." Y/n pointed over her shoulder to Thomas, who was blissfully unaware that we were discussing him while he spoke with Frypan.

I laughed slightly. I knew at first, she wasn't too fond of the idea that she would have to train Thomas, but I've noticed that as time's passed, she's slowly come to grow comfortable with it.

In the beginning, she hated it. Hated Thomas for agreeing and mostly hated Vince for suggesting it. But then after many hours of knocking the boy on his ass and holding a knife to his throat, she seemed to find it more intriguing than before.