16. The Arkenstone

Hermione's POV

Not too long ago, we had left the horses behind because the mountain was too difficult to climb for them. In the distance I saw a weird looking building. 

"Gundabad." I hear Tauriel say. "What lies beyond?"

"An old enemy. The ancient kingdom of Angmar." Legolas answered her. "This fortress was once its stronghold. It is where they kept their great armories. Forged their weapons of  war."

I looked closely until I saw something I did not expect. "A light. I saw movement." I informed. Tauriel and Legolas looked closer, with their elven abilities they could see further and hear better and lots of other things. I was kinda jeolous to be honest.

"We wait for the cover of night. It's a fell place. In another ago, our people waged war on those lands." Legolas stopped. He seemed to realise something. I immediately knew it was something sad. I carefully walked up to him and put a hand on his shoulder. I looked at him sympathetically. Tauriel also looked a bit worried at Legolas' change of emotions. 

Legolas looked up again, our eyes met. "My mother died there. My father does not speak of it." he looked down again. "There is no grave. No memory. Nothing." he looked at Tauriel.

I did not know. I had paid no mind to that I never saw the queen of Mirkwood. But now it all made sense. Now it explains why his father is so rude. 

I lifted his chin with my hand so he could look at me. "I once knew a person who was just like your father. He also lost the love of his life. He became cold. He was rude to anyone. Until not very long ago, I hated him. I did have some respect because he was a great wizard, no doubt. He got killed by Voldemort's snake, Nagini. Before he died he could give us his tears with memories in it. He told Harry to go to the pensieve. After that, he died. 

I did cry a little. He did not deserve to die. In the memories, Harry found out about his love for his mother. The friendship between him and Harry's mother. How he had fallen in love and got bullied by the man who later became the husband of his best friend and crush. He protected Harry at all costs, he promised Lily, He promised her that he would look after his son. 

The point is. Snape did not have a son. Nor did he have any family. He was all alone. You have still your father. I know that your relationship with him isn't very good. I think it is for the best if you would try to fix that. He should too though. You only have each other, and maybe Thranduil will open his frozen heart again."

Legolas did not know what to say. "She's right." Tauriel said.

Legolas turned his head to Tauriel. "Maybe she is. But first we need win this war." We agreed and set off to Dale.

3rd person POV.

Dale

Gandalf rode on his horse through the city of Dale. He was clearly in a hurry. When he entered the centre of Dale, he got off his horse and looked around, surprised to see an army of Woodland elves.

"Hey! You! Pointy hat!" a voice called out to him. It was Alfrid. Gandalf turned around. "Yes, you." Alfrid walked down the small stairs. "We don't want no tramps, beggers nor vagabonds around here. We got enough trouble without the likes of you." he said with discust. 

"Who's in charge here?!" Gandalf already hated this man. "Who's asking?" Bard stept forward. Gandalf looked at him. He did look like a trustful leader. 

Bard led him to a tent, which belonged to the elven king. Gandalf sighed. This is going to be a long talk. 

He looked around and surprisingly, he saw Ginny and Luna. "Gandalf!" Luna said as soon as she saw him, she smiled brightly. Gandalf gave a smile. "Good to see you two alive and well, but where is Hermione?" he asked. "She is with Legolas and I believe, Tauriel?"  Luna answered. 

"When you speak of my son nor anyone of royal blood, you call him or her; prince, princess, queen or king, how many times do I need to say that!?" Thranduil interrupted angrily. "Well sorry that you're not royal to me. Thranduil." Ginny almost spit out his name. Thranduil glared at her. 

"You must set aside your petty grievances with the dwarves. War is coming! The cesspits of Dol Guldur have been emptied. You're all in mortal danger." Gandalf warned. 

Thranduil pretended to be surprised. Bard, on the other hand, did take him serious. "What do you mean?" he asked him.

"I can see you know nothing of wizards. They are like winter thunder on a wild wind rolling in from the distance, breaking hard in alarm. But sometimes, a storm, is just a storm." he said, sounding almost bored. "Not this time." Gandalf assured him. "Armies of orcs are on the move. These are fighters, bred especially for war. Our enemy has summoned his full strength."

"Why show his hand now?" Thranduil interrupted him, again. "Because we forced him." Gandalf answered immediately. "The dwarves were never meant to reach Erebor. Azof the Defiler was sent to kill them. His master wants control over the mountain." they walked out of the tent. "Not just for the treasure, but for where it lies, it's strategic position. This is the gateway to reclaiming the lands of Angmar in the North. If that fell kingdom should rise again, Rivendell, Lorién, the shire, even Gondor itself, will fall." he said worried.

"These orc armies you speak of, Mithrandir. Where are they?" Thranduil asked him. Gandalf hesitated to answer. "I think they are moving underground."

"But how is that even possible?" Ginny asked him. "I don't know dear, I don't know." Gandalf replied.

Luna POV.

Ugh, I hate that elf, I always thought, they were nice and elegant. Well this one is an arogant bastard. Ginny and I didn't go back to the tent, we hated to be around the elven king of the Woodland elves. I did not hate people quickly, but this one makes my blood boil.

"Ginny! Luna!" I looked around but saw no one. "Bilbo? Is that you?" Ginny half shouted, half whispered. Suddenly Bilbo appeared. "Thank god, you're alive." Ginny said.

"I need to speak to king Thranduil and Bard. Now." he said quickly. We nodded and led him to the tent. Gandalf and Bard stood before the entrance.

"This is a fight they can not win." we heard Bard say. 

"That won't stop them." Bilbo joined their conversation. "You think, the dwarves will surrender?  They won't. They will fight to the death to defend their own."

"Bilbo Baggins." Gandalf smiled through his pipe. Unfortunately this meant that we needed to go inside the tent, again. 

Thranduil looked up from where he stood, he looked at Bilbo. "If I'm right, this is the halfling who stole the keys from under the nose of my guards?" he sat down on his chair.

Bilbo looked down, embarrassed. "Yes. Sorry about that." I stifled a laugh. I saw Bard smirking.

"I came, to give you..." he placed something on the table. "...This." he opened the package, it was a white glowing stone. It seemed to be of great importance because everyone gasped. Even Thranduil was surprised to see it. "The heart of the mountain." he slowly raised from his chair. "The king's jewel."

"And worth a king's ransom." Bard added. "How is this yours to give?" he asked Bilbo. "I took it as my 14th share of the treasure."

"Why would you do this? You owe us no loyalty." Bard asked again. Bilbo smiled awkwardly for a moment. "I'm not doing it for you. I know that dwarves can be obstinate, and pigheaded, and difficult. They're suspicious and secretive with the worst manners you got possibly imagine, but they are also brave, and kind, and loyal to a fault. I've grown very fond of them and I would save them if I can. Now Thorin, values this stone above all else. In exchange for its return, he will give you what you are owed. There will be no need for war." 

Everyone looked at each other. He did have a point. I think even Thranduil knew that it could turn out to be succesfull.

After a while we agreed to this idea and departed to rest for the upcoming morning.

The morning of the truth.

----------------------

I'm sorry again for such a short chapter, I am going to graduate this year so I hope I can find some time to write. 

Please forgive me.