Chapter 3:Mist Reapers

Mandraesyr's army advanced in the distance

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Mandraesyr's army advanced in the distance. Xyras, demon hounds and Rothari made up the vanguard, while Kyroans and Carthors were spread out amongst the Delmari soldiers.

Kortea narrowed her eyes, gripping her sunstaff tighter. The Keltorean soldiers around her loaded the catapults and the great bows, and heated the flame throwers. The archers readied their bows, pulling the strings back. The vanguard checked their laser guns, and aimed it at the approaching army. The local Urazal sky fleet hovered over them, waiting. Kortea gathered her energy, and drew light into herself, strengthening her body.

As the vanguard came in range, the Keltorean war machines and the archers opened fire. Torrents of flames, arrows, laser beams, flaming rocks and plasma bolts tore into the vanguard, obliterating it. The sky fleet pressed on, bombing the enemy forces, though they were soon occupied by another threat- Oratharks and Mandraesyr's fleet.

The Keltoreans kept firing, taking down hundreds of Mandraesyr's soldiers, keeping them at bay for the moment. And yet, the dark army kept coming. Slowly, they got closer, and the ammunition started running out. At last, the two armies collided.

Kortea released a telekinetic wave, and the four magicians beside her sent out light, fire, water, ice, earth and lightning. Faelan, Halkera and Kraeta brought their staffs down on the ground, and chasms opened up under the dark army, sending hundreds to their doom. Paellor wielded his sunspear, channeling light through the blade.

Faelan killed a group of Delmari soldiers with a rain of ice shards, and Halkera leveled her staff, her red Crystal pulsating with energy, sending red beams at the attackers. Kraeta called down lightning, and released fire, the combination of energies burning the enemy forces to a crisp. Paellor molded light into copies of himself, confusing the enemy. Each of his clones multiplied again, and they unleashed torrents of lightning, their sunspears cutting into the soldiers.

...

The Keltorean army was being shredded. Only a few hundred remained, while Mandraesyr's soldiers kept coming. The Urazal sky fleet was destroyed, and oratharks swooped down, tearing into the ground, and their wings exploding outward, killing swaths.

Faelan, Halkera and Kraeta wielded water spirals, and walls of fire and earth, blocking them from view. They then created a hole in the ground, through which they and the survivors entered. Sealing the entrance, they molded the earth, allowing it to propel themselves forward.

Suddenly, an earth wave pushed them upward, back onto the surface. Clouds of black mist gathered around the remaining Keltorean soldiers, killing them all within seconds.

The mist formed into 12 shapes armed with sinister looking scythes. At a distance, they looked human, but up close, they were vastly different. Their entire bodies were made out of the black mist, their eyes silver and green dots. They could change into mist, and reform back at will. The common foot soldier or even a whole army was helpless against them. Not even the weapons of sky ships could damage them. Fire, lightning, water and earth magic could slow them down, but only light and dark wielding could permanently dispel them.

"Mist Reapers" Paellor cursed, drawing his sunspear. Three of them attacked him, while the other nine surrounded Kortea, Kraeta, Halkera and Faelan.

Paellor blocked their scythes, and let loose a burst of lightning, staggering one. It formed into mist, while the others attacked him, their scythes black blurs before his eyes. He deflected their attacks and leapt in the air as the third reformed back into its previous shape. The three attacked him in unison, and one of them cut him on the shoulder. Dark energy seeped into the wound, but he expelled it with light wielding. The second Mist Reaper turned into a black cloud of mist, and engulfed him in darkness, suppressing his light. The other two landed deep gashes on his body, and turned his lightning onto him. At last, he scattered the mist with telekinesis, and leapt to safety, wheezing.

Halkera sent a beam of light into him, cleansing some of the dark energy, and he took care of the rest. "Thank you" he said between gasps. She nodded, and blasted one of her foes with a torrent of fire. Kraeta and Faelan locked four in ice, and Kortea shredded one with a wave of light. The mist faded away. The Mist Reapers frozen in ice cracked their restraints, and attacked her. Kortea killed two of them, but the other two cut her down. Halkera, Faelan, Kraeta and Paellor stood back to back, wielding their magic, protecting each other.

Their battle continued, as the four magicians desperately tried to hold the Mist Reapers at bay.

Suddenly, Halkera and Faelan were slain, and their staffs fell to the ground. Kraeta conjured a shield of light, pushing away the remaining 9 Mist Reapers, and Paellor wielded light and lightning, dispelling one of them. "We can not keep this up" Kraeta said, releasing a blast of red energy.

The Mist Reapers let them go.