Phoenix

Lorcan's POV 

I never wanted a war like this. I wanted to live comfortably with my family; I wanted my father to be able to call the shots. I wanted to be able to watch my sisters grow up. Maybe I would get married and have kids. Back then, a war was nothing but business. If you died, you died. We would remember you and take care of your family the best we could. 

Now, war possibly meant the end of us all. Now, the loved ones of those who died would never be the same. Some maybe even end their lives from the pain of it all. And, there was a severe possibility of me losing the love of my life. If anything happened to him...

I watched in shock as my mate dreamed, tears running my face. Her thoughts were full of dread and misery. Somehow, she had managed to convince herself that she wasn't going to survive this battle. I had to convince her otherwise. 

Gently, I pulled her body towards me, so we were intertwined. Her heartbeat began to match my own, and her breathing calmed down. She was just so beautiful with her spirit and soul; never have I been more happy in this moment. 

Ximena coming into my life brought both tragedy and happiness. Yes, we've been attacked more times than not, and I was forced to see Cadmar after so long. But, I finally met the woman who would grow old with me and bear my children. She was my Luna, my heart, my life. And if I had to do it again, I would dance with her all over again. 

I remember the way I felt that day. I had just returned from Ireland, feeling alone and isolated. Not even seeing Declan and Faolan had cheered me up. Enya tried to speak to me, but there was no way to even talk about it. Everything seemed to make it worse, and I considered just disappearing into my home, leaving the world behind me. 

Then, as I passed the pavilion, I smelled the most delicious thing in my life. Determined to find it, I ran onto the floor where the mesmerizing music was playing. I danced along, looking for her until a woman came into my line of vision. She was blindfolded, yet there was precision in her movement. She was clad in black, the same as myself. Then, seeing her eyes did something to me. For once, the world wasn't shrouded in darkness; there was beauty and light and radiance. It was coming from her, Ximena Montoya.

She began to whimper, signifying that she was having a nightmare. Small tears left her eyes, and tiny sobs began to leave her body. 

"LORCAN!" Trying to calm her down, I bit her gently on our mark, illiciting a low moan from the woman. Her eyes opened, and I smiled at her. 

"Babe, what's wrong?" She shook her head hard, refusing to tell me. "Mena-"

"I have to give myself up, Lorcan. I can't let you die. I won't let ANYONE die for me!" Hearing the hysteria in her voice scared me. She seriously was conidering to run off again after everything that happened! Now angry, I yanked her underneath me ahd held her wrists in my hands. Her eyes were wide, and she opened her mouth, but I cut her off with a vicious kiss. My hips trapped hers, and she tried to touch me, but I held her tightly. 

"You aren't going to to do that. You're the Luna, not a child."

"Lorcan-"

"I won't lose you. Ever."

Ximena's POV

We stood in the same woods for the third time. Lorcan was by my side, holing my hand while Aleks stood next to me along with Piper. Faolan, Regan, and Braden were behind us, the Delta mindlinking Lorcan. As the wolves around us murmured, I listened to the sounds of the river and smiled. The very first time I came here, I was running from a threat. The second, I was succumbing to it. Now, I'm eradictating it.