Move in Day

Destiny

Today is move in day and I'm so ready for this shit. Attending Central State University, was never a dream of mine, but I'm here now. I might as well make the best of it. I've thought about going hours away for college, but, imagine my facial expression when my parents told me that I would be going three and an half hours away, to the middle of nowhere. I planned on going out of state for college.

I applied to schools in Texas, Louisiana, and even damn California. But I knew I wasn't going to get in to those preppy ass California colleges. My gpa from high school just wasn't high enough for the requirements. So, here I am. Stuck in Michigan, when I wanted to be far away as possible from my family. I even got in to the schools I applied to, we just didn't have the money for it, or so they say.

"Come on, you ready for this drive?" My older sister, Daniella asked as she came into my room. Everything was packed down to the floor boards. I have been ready to leave this damn house since we moved in.

"Yeah, come give me a hand with these bags." I responded as I pointed towards the many bags that were invading the room. One by one, the bags ended up stacked in the moving truck, as others were stacked in the car. My cousin, mom, and granny packed the rest of my things, as I looked back on the house that held a really bad memory.

"My crew let's go!" My mom, Veronica yelled as she got in the moving truck.

"Alright, we gone see y'all when we get there." My nephew and niece were packed in the car as I got in the moving truck. I made my last final look around the neighborhood, before we started to drive off.

"Here we go." I whispered to myself as I looked out the window. Seeing a lady that I used to be cool with, sitting on her porch looking at me. I didn't wave or anything. She was apart of the problem that got me in trouble and I won't forget it.

Turning my head, I watched as my mom pulled out the driveway. Looking down at her phone, I couldn't believe that we were really driving to the college I'd be attending. Me, a college girl. I've been dreaming about this moment for so many years, that it makes me wanna cry. Here I am. I beat the fucking odds and made it through.

I plugged my phone up as my mom started to play her music. I grabbed a neck pillow that I packed and put it around my neck, as I leaned against the door. Trying desperately to make the time go by fast.

****
"Wake up, we're at Dollar Tree." My mom announced. My neck was killing me and my entire body was sore as fuck. I hate riding in the car for so long and this damn truck wasn't making it any better. I couldn't wait to fix my room up. Oh lord I just can't wait.

Getting out, we went inside as we started shopping. "We need to get you cleaning products. Grab whatever you need." I went around the store grabbing whatever I felt like I needed and wanted, then proceeded to throw the items in the basket. I couldn't believe that in under an hour, I'll be in my dorm.

Once we finished shopping, we got back into the moving truck, and went on bout our drive. My mom decided to call my granny to see where they were at. "What do you want?" My granny asked as soon as she answered the phone.

"I'm trynna see where y'all at. We're under an hour away from her dorm."

I could hear commotion going on in the background of the car on the phone. Then I heard my nephew starting to cry. I figured he would wake up sooner or later.

"Girl we gone get there when we get there. Don't ask me no questions." I smacked my lips as my mom did too. The women in my household got some smart ass mouths. We all talk crazy to each other and especially to men. I know I'm gone end up cutting up on a nigga or two. Most likely even a bitch if they move me wrong.

"I just asked a simple question. Bye maa." With that, my mom hung up. Stopping at a red light, she rolled the windows down, as the turned to a different song. She decided to play Wale Lotus Flower Bomb.

"Lotus flower bomb, firefly. When I'm low, she take me high. I can teach you all sounds of love." Miguel sang as we both sang along.

There we were, jamming out in the moving truck. On the way to my new journey. "Listen Destiny, now I know you ain't never been on yo own before. This gone be something new for all of us. Make sure you stay on top of yo homework. Don't give nobody nothing of yours. Don't drink what you ain't pour and don't smoke what you ain't roll yourself."

I rolled my eyes as I've already had this conversation multiple times before with basically everyone. "I know Veronica." I said playful as she turned towards me and gave me a death look. I put my hand on her shoulder.

"I'm just playing, but I know maa. Y'all done already told me this multiple times. I think I get it by know."

"I hope so and don't spend all yo damn money. I know you gone be going to parties and whatnot. Just don't be spending all willy nilly." I nodded my head as I let her just go off about what to not to do and what to do.

Leaning my head against the door once again, I closed my eyes as I imagined what my dorm room looks like.