One

Trust

Summary: Good night, little lamb!

◇◇◇

Happiness scares her. It shrouds her in a daring roused by past trauma, the weight of everything lost and the scars they left behind; family, home, homeland.

Amrit has learned in the most bitter way possibly that joy came hand in hand with sorrow. That fateful night in 1947 was supposed to be her wedding. Now, as she stood in the terrace of a grand manor that belonged to the Shrigar Royal family, here in the heart of Delhi - the world around her decks itself for yet another wedding. This time a one long due, between her brother and her best friend; arranged by yet another of her friends.

She pauses at the thought. Finally finding the crux of her worry. This wave of nausea that unsettles her comes from that very thought. What exactly did Veer Pratap Singh mean to her? Means to an end? Make believe husband? A friend?

"Are you really going to trust him Amrit?" Her inner voice has taken a likeness to Randheer's, thickened with disappointment and dripping with judgement.

"That man? Is he really worth all these disagreements with Randheer?"

She wasn't happy with how the day had turned out. If anything Amrit does not want to put herself between two unreasonably angry men, she had no idea what made Randheer throttle Veer in the first place.

But it had raged her, that calloused disregard of everything she has told Randheer. Veer had offered a hand in friendship when he has no reason to, sure enough behind all his theatrics he has a good heart. Amrit needs to believe that - she does.

But something within her does not sit well with that knowledge.

The spring air still stings with reminders of winter. Drawing her pallu over her head in a way that it covers her ears against the breeze Amrit turns away from the glowing lights of the decorations.

Was she like the air trying to cling to a season gone by? Has everyone but her changed and moved on?

For neither is acting within the scope she has cast them in. Randheer is the peaceful, wise man - not this hot headed short tempered man who lets his emotions rule him in the heat of the moment.

And Veer - Veer is as unpredictable and volatile as a bullet that has left the gun. When he happens to be the voice of reason in an argument one has to pause and reconsider.

This reconsidering only made her head ache. Has she changed too? Why was she so affected by the fact that Veer was being threatened? Did it really matter enough for her to intervene? She knew Randheer enough to be certain that he would not harm anybody, then why did she...

"Jeena issi ka naam hai...!"

H