Five

Spider

Summary: "He loves her."

◇◇◇

The next time she awakens, or rather torn from her sleep, it is to voices and flooding lights.

Chachi is no longer there and the house is no longer silent. Amrit fetches her robe and slippers faster than she has ever done, tearing out into the passage as she pulls them on. She hadn't gone three or four paces before Uday stops her with an outstretched arm.

Amrot looks upon him in surprise.

"Veerji aap yahaan - iss waqt?"

They could hear the sounds of cameras flashing, people talking in increasingly louder voices and distant but unmistakable sound of a police siren. Amrit turns her wide, disturbed eyes on Uday.

"Amru tu neeche matt ja," Uday shakes his head at her, gripping her by the elbows and stopping her. Amrit, increasingly agitated struggles against him.

"What has happened?" She demands. "Kissi ko kuch Hua hai kya? Is someone injured? Is -" her voice dies in her throat as a surge of panic grips her. An ominous feeling throttles her.

I don't think I will dance at your shaadi. Have fun. I won't take part in anymore functions...meri kushi toh tum ho...

"Veer?" She exclaims. "Veer was downstairs - when I went to bed he was - he was alone - and drinking and - saying strange things -" the realization weighs her heart down and it sinks and sinks further into guilt and remorse.

God, if he has done something extreme like the last time he tried to jump off a building - had all those ominous talk lead to him - why did she not think about it!

"Chodiye mujhe," she fights against Uday's grip, "I need to go to him - I- I -"

Uday mutters things that Amrit cannot comprehend. They are standing at the railing overlooking the ground floor below, hidden by the artful draperies, if she manages a few feet more she could see what was going on below stairs - she could - Amrit's wild gaze darts around her and stops.

Neither Uday, nor Veer is certain of how it happens. For Amrit tears away from her brother with such efficiency and force that leaves Uday stunned and staring after her.

And as for Veer, he is stunned on his own right for she comes to him with a force that knocks breath from his lungs and clasps her arms around him in a fierce embrace. No one, not in his memory, has ever hugged him like that. (AN: Song^^^)

"Main darr gayi thi," her voice is muffled against his clothes. "Darr gayi thi. Mujhe laga kuch galath hogaya honga. Mujhe laga kahi aap ko kuch -"