Ten

Today's update #2

Jaan

Summary: "You make the world's most beautiful bride

Summary: "You make the world's most beautiful bride."

◇◇◇

Veer is right on more than one account; Amrit thinks as she appraises herself in the mirror. That wine red of her lehenga brings out a glow which is almost ethereal. Amrit blinks and looks away - her cheeks heating up at the vanity her thoughts were spinning.

She had never thought of herself as beautiful. But standing there, with gold of morning sun filtering through the wine red of her pallu to cast her in a rose glow - it felt like she was seeing herself in another's eyes. And Amrit knew whose eyes she was thinking of, the knowledge made it harder for her to meet her own eyes in the mirror.

"Khoobsurat ho."

His voice makes her eyes flicker towards the mirror again. Veer is leaning against the door frame, hands folded, his reflection grins at her in the mirror.

Amrit looks away again, busying herself with wearing her bangles. But the unease makes her hands tremble and her grip clumsy. The Kangan she drops rolls along the marble floor and stops at his feet.

Veer picks it up and approaches her, his eyes appreciative, in that unsettling hunter - like way.

Amrit shifts under that gaze as he reaches out to take her arm.

"Achchi toh tum humesha dhikthi ho," he continues as he pushes the bangle through her hand into her wrist.

Picking up two others from the glass bangles in different shades of magenta he proceeds to make her wear those.
"Par jab kush hoti ho, iss tarah," his eyes make another appreciative trail across her face, "toh duniya ki sab se Khoobsurat dhikthi ho."

The bangles make a clinking sound when they slide over her wrist, hitting against one another. Veer's fingers brush against the underside of her arm before moving to hold her hand for a moment. Amrit jerks at the sound as if suddenly coming awake.

"Why did you come here?"
Veer chuckles.

"It's not like I'm your groom. Seeing you as a bride wouldn't be inauspicious now - would it? Aur phir shaadi ka tofa bhi toh dena tha."

He turns her palm upwards and places a folded paper there. Amrit who had opened her mouth to protest stares blankly at it.

"Everybody downstairs is getting ready to see you and I remarry in front of them all. Only we know that isn't happening. Here - in this letter," he pauses and shakes his head.

"No, it came out wrong. This written statement, I have admitted to every lie, every charade I've ever forced on you. It is yours to use as you will, if the situation presents itself."