Six

Lock and Key

Summary : "Yeh nasha kaafi hai

Summary : "Yeh nasha kaafi hai."

◇◇◇

Amrit looks at him rather disgustedly and then turns her eyes back to the sari laid out on the bed. To his credit Veer doesn't even flinch at the open hostility in her face.

"I asked you to take me to Randheer!" She states bluntly. "And you want me to go to a party with you? Yeh koi kushiyan manane ka mouka hai?"

"Randheer does not want to see you, smart of him. At least I give him credit for that."

"Whatever that means -"

Veer puts the glass stopper on the decanter with a click and turns to her, regarding her fury with a calm expression.

"Half the city is torn up in this scandal Biwi sahab, best one could do is not drag others into it."

"He did not do it!"

Veer shrugs.

"Ma sahab has arranged for his legal representation as she too believes what you said. However her counsels are of opinion that she is to keep herself uninvolved for investigation to look more unbiased and for narrative to shift in Randheer's favour. Further our family stays from this matter lesser Randheer would look ma sahab's right hand. More it will look like that he had no reason to go to these lengths to get her anything."

Amrit lets out the breath she was holding and her shoulders droop. Veer walks to her and takes her trembling hands which she tries to hide.

"Samajhgayi?"

"I can't sit here and watch him being -" Amrit gulps, her eyes brimming. "He's already spent four years in jail because of me."

"Oh there's that," Veer mutters, bringing to her notice how that record of Randheer being a released prisoner would look disadvantageous on his record just then.

But she is distracted by Veer's fingers pushing her hair behind her ear.

"You owe him nothing for that. You did not put him in jail. You weren't even responsible for his decision to go back. Amrit - things that happened in your life - you are not to be blamed for them. If Vashma and Uday considers that debt paid I see no reason why you would-"

"Because I love him!" She snaps furious that he chooses this moment to lecture her on responsibility.

"I do!" She repeats.

Veer draws back, Amrit reels for a moment at the lack of his comforting touch.

"Of cause you do. And I know you will not sit here waiting. Which is why I propose we do this."

"I'm not going to any party -"

"It is Bibari Lal's house I want to get to," he talks over her. "He organizes this charity fundraising every year to keep up appearances.