Seven

Wedding gift

Summary: "Shaadi Mubarakho...!"

◇◇◇

"

Forged ballot papers were recovered from your room," Vijendra informs Randheer rather gravely.

His authority over the area comes in useful for matters like these - where it is necessary to have a one to one chat with Randheer.

As the two men sat opposite each other inside Vijendra's office the night outside deepens. The older man could rightly read the resentment on the younger one's face. Fishing for weaknesses that might come useful in the bigger game Vijendra speaks.

"Veer believes this was orchestrated by Bihari Lal himself."

Randheer snorts.

"Of cause he would know better -!"

"Excuse me?" Vijendra sounds rightfully miffed. "What is it that you mean to imply?"

Randheer sucks on his teeth, internally fuming.

"Nothing of cause." He looks away.

"I was of the opinion that if Bihari Lal managed to pull this out under our noses and make you the scapegoat for it - there has to be one or more of our men who take orders from him. What do you think Randheer - are you suspicious about anyone in the staff? Anyone who could have put those ballot papers in your room?"

Randheer shifts at his tone, considering him with a thoughtful eye.

"Can I trust you Vijendra sahab?" He speculates aloud.

"I don't see you have a choice in that matter son."

For a beat the two men stare at one another. Then Randheer shifts.

"I think it is Veer."

Vijendra clenches his jaw.

"That's a heinous accusation to be making against a -"

"He has never liked me. In fact he is downright jealous of me!" Randheer continues as his thoughts begin to settle. "It has to be him. He wants to take me off the equation!"

"Off what equation?"

Randheer sighs.

Of cause, this man did not know the complicated situation between Veer, Amrit and he. He wasn't sure how much of it he could tell Vijendra without betraying Amrit's truth. It wasn't yet the time for that to come in front of anyone.

"Mujhe lagtha hai," he speaks slowly, choosing his words carefully. " ...ke kuwar sahab ko hum par shaq hai. It is baseless but I think - he thinks that I'm the reason for the rift between him and bahu Rani."