Chapter 2

Present

 "1..2..1..2" My trainer Jess counted, as I punched his mitts and dodged his throws. 

  Sweat dripped from my forehead, as I got my early workout in before work. I loved the feeling of adrenaline pumping through my veins, and the burning sensation in my arms. I was glad after all these years I kept up with boxing, a hobby my father got me into after my mom passed. It still makes me feel conected with my Dad, and with each punch I make, it brings back the memories of our sparring sessions. Lost in my thoughts, I lose my concentration and Jess pulls a punch on me, sending me to the floor.

"Oh, how the mighty have fallen." Jess laughs, taking off his mitt and helps me up. 

I laugh with him, as I take his offering hand, and sweep kick him. Catching him off guard, and he lands right next to me.

"You were saying?" I mock, grinning as he groans. "I gotta get ready for my shift, you'll be here later?"

 "Yeah, I'll be here. Don't think I'll forget about that little trick you pulled on me." 

 "Bye Jess!" I yell back at him, grabbing my stuff and leaving. 

 I've got 15 minutes before my shift starts, so I stop for some coffee. I'm at my favorite corner cafe shop, my partner introduced me to when I first came to chicago, and I've been going ever since. The smell of coffee beans welcomes you as the door opens. It's not too busy, but people are in and out as they get breakfast and drinks to go. I'm waiting for my order, as I steal a glance at a tall man with dark blonde hair and blue eyes. I turn away as I see him walk over to my side of the room, waiting for his order. Just in time, I grab my coffee and make and head for the door, bumping into someone in the process.

 "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" I exclaim, as half of the coffee in my cup lands on the person in front of me.

 "It's alright, I've got a change of clothes in my car." The guy says, as I stare at his deep blue eyes in awe while he stares back at me.

 "Oh.. okay. I'm sorry again." I reply, handing him more than a handful of napkins and giving a friendly smile before leaving. 

 And for some strange reason, I can feel his eyes trailing in my path as I leave, so I turn around to see that it's true.