Chapter One

All of her life, Malaysia dreamt of having a loving husband, and of one day becoming a mother. Was she judged by some because she chose the trophy wife lifestyle? Yes, but she had learned long ago that people judged no matter what one did. Her best friend had a career, no children, and lived alone. She was enjoying the single life to the fullest. Yet, she too was scrutinized by many.

People always found something wrong with a person's lifestyle.

Her best friend, Sierra took a bite of her favorite cupcake before narrowing her large blue eyes that stood against her sun-kissed complexion. "I know that you think the good outweighs the bad, but it seems that Lennox no longer makes you happy."

"Why would you tell her that?" Jordan said in utter disbelief. "When things get bad, you're not supposed to give up so easily."

"It's been almost a year since she felt this way." Sierra set her cupcake down on the table. "Mal, if he doesn't make you happy anymore...maybe you should think of getting a divorce."

Malaysia stared at her plate in front of her before running a hand through her long pitch-black hair. "I love him...I don't want to get a divorce."

"See--"

"Oh, Mal," Sierra interjected Jordan and reached across the table to place her hand over hers. "You want a child and he does not..."

At the sound that came from when someone walked into the dessert shop, Sierra actually became speechless at the tall man who had walked in, followed by a boy with spiky hair that seemed way too excited to get dessert.

"I was unaware they could eat like us," Jordan said, clear hatred laced in her voice.

"I was unaware of how hot they are in person," Sierra whispered before smiling. "Geez, those eyes."

Malaysia would agree that those bright red eyes did seem bewitching, but that was their intended purpose. Those eyes captivated their prey into not fighting them. "I will never understand the hatred toward them."

Jordan knitted her eyebrows together. "Because they feed on humans--That's fucking disgusting."

Sierra shrugged. "Their humans choose that...It's all consensual. They have an agreement and only feed one hundred and eighty-three days. We make sure the law is not broken." She paused, eyes glistening with tears. "Besides, the human race has done far worse than sucking someone's blood."

"Ugh," Jordan stood. "This got sour quickly. I'll see you two later." Without another word, she left. Malaysia turned her attention back to the boy, who looked just like any other human in the dessert shop. She couldn't help but smile when he caught her looking. However, when who she assumed to be his brother, glanced at her as well, she diverted her gaze, feeling her cheeks burn.

Sierra laughed and she kicked her under the table. "Ouch! You fucking bitch." Both laughed in unison. "So, let's get back to the topic."

Malaysia rested her chin on her hand. "I don't know what to do."

"You want a baby right?"

"Yes, but--"

"Clearly you two are not compatible. Mal, please don't stay by his side because you're afraid of what people will say if you two get divorced...I'm your friend and I want to see you happy."

"I'll think about it, I promise, but right now, I just want to distract myself."

"Fine, let's go watch a movie." She finished her cupcake, truly appearing to relish the taste. As they stood, Sierra dared glance at the male who had taken a seat with the boy, a way too flirtatious smile on her lips.