Chapter Six

For years, the blood bond to Elias worked like magic. Perhaps it also helped that she decided to continue living in the Caribbean, which she soon found out not many supernatural resided there. And those who did were most likely faeries. It was easy to keep distance from everyone when living deep in the woods in a tiny home. At times, she encounter wonderful people who wanted to get closer, become friends--but she couldn't let that happen.

She held a basket in her hand filled with the fruit and vegetables she grew in her garden. As she made her way through the path, she inhaled, relaxing at the silence. Once she arrived at her home, she put away everything after washing them.

At a knock on her door, her eyes narrowed, but when she sniffed the air, she recognized the fragrance of one of her coworkers. Someone who seemed friendly and had attempted many times to get to know her better.

How exactly did she figure out where she lived?

Inside her home, there was no source of light but the moonlight that peeked through the windows so, when she opened the door to greet Angelica, she narrowed her eyes, clearly struggling to see in the darkness.

She began to speak in Spanish.

"Oh, wow. Girl, how can you see anything in this darkness!"

"Does the boss need me at work?" Malaysia asked.

She walked into the house, bumped her leg on the coffee table and cursed. "No, he doesn't. But I asked him if he knew where you lived and he did."

"Isn't against the law to give out someone's address without their consent."

Angelica laughed. "Are you going to snitch on me?" She managed to walk around the table and stopped inches from her. Since Angelica was much shorter, she had to tilt her head slightly back for their eyes to meet. "I told you that I consider you my friend---Like everyone else who works at the bar."

"What exactly couldn't wait until I returned to work?" Malaysia hated her cold tone, but she couldn't let Angelica get close to her, she couldn't let anyone. If she did, they would eventually be murdered by those who hunted her.

"I simply wanted us to hang out." She glanced around, her eyes narrowing into pinpoints. "Can you turn on the lights?"

"Sorry, but I don't have any lamps." Malaysia stood by the door, noticing that Angelica must have left her car at the top of the hill. Perhaps, she was afraid of how narrow the dirt road that lead to her home was. One wrong move and the car would have gone off the cliff.

"Why are you so hellbent on keeping everyone away from you?" Angelica asked, gaining her attention. "Everyone in the bar cares about you, even when you use that cold tone of yours. You've been working there for two years--You're family. So, when we noticed you haven't come to work for a week, the boss sent me out here to check on you. There, you have the truth now. Sorry for fucking giving a damn about you."

When Angelica headed out the door, Malaysia actually reached out to stop her, but froze before she could, folding her fingers into fists. You can't get too close...You can't. Let them all think the worse of you...

The next day at the bar, everyone was distant from her, even Angelica. While they served drinks, no one spared her even a glance. This was what she wanted, wasn't it? Yet it created a tinge of pain in her heart. She had to admit that the constant chatter and laughter of all of them did brighten her day. I As usual, the bar was busy and they were all preparing one drink after drink. Once her shift ended, Malaysia headed to the beach and sat down.

As she watched the water, her heart ached at the memory of her friends, of Connor. When a tear trickled down her cheek, she wiped it away. She had decided long ago that she wouldn't have anything that could give away her location, not even a cellphone. If she would have had one, she probably would have caved and finally called Sierra.