Chapter Three

When she jolted awake, she panicked for a moment before swimming as fast as she could to the surface, faster than she thought she ever could. Once on the bank of the river, she lay on her back, staring at the night sky. An electricity shook her body before she glanced around. All the noises of the woods bombarded her, making her press her hands over her ears in an attempt to drown it all out.

"Such a waste." Elias sounded disappointed.

She lurched to her feet and faced him to be attacked by one of Sierra's hugs. "I was so worried." She wept now, tightening her hold around Malaysia.

"You smell like flowers."

Connor did not move, appearing almost like a statue. "You've been turned."

"Well, at least now, we don't have to worry about those mutts killing you." Elias' smug smile scared her. "You're going to have many mutts after you." He glanced at Connor. "Damn, brother. Now, you have competition."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Malaysia asked.

"There hasn't been a she-wolf in almost one hundred years...The bastard who put a target on your head now has to step back. If they dare harm a hair on your head, all of the alphas will wipe out their pack in the blink of an eye."

She shook her head as tears streamed down her face. "I'm human." She jerked away from Sierra and moved to walk away, but slammed against a tree trunk. She cried out in frustration before Elias took hold of her hand, and instantly, the turmoil within eased.

"What--What are you doing?"

"I have the ability to ease anyone's pain..." He smiled. "I might hate mutts, but you...You've proven yourself as an ally."

"Elias, all the werewolves near will catch her scent--the news will spread like wildfire. Alphas around the world, will come for her."

"They can't--" Sierra glanced around, tears enveloping her eyes. "It is against the law--"

"She is no longer human, Sierra." Connor ran a hand through his dark mane. "I'm sorry, but she is not your responsibility now."

"She's my friend! I'm not turning my back to her!"

"It's okay," Malaysia said. "I'll be okay."

"There is no law that forces you to be with any of them." Elias thought for a moment. "If you want, Connor can help mask your scent."

Her cheeks flamed. "It's not time to be joking around."

"I wasn't joking."

"Let's just get out of here."

After arriving at the apartment, Sierra rushed to the closet in the living room, searching for something. When she returned with a spray, she covered Malaysia with it. Elias coughed and backed away, wrinkling his nose in disgust. "What the hell is that?"

"It's some stuff given to me by a witch I helped a while back. She had told me that if I ever piss off someone supernatural, this will keep them away. It hides any scent."

Elias actually sniffed Malaysia. "Well, it smells horrible."

"I need to contact someone who can help--"

"Sierra, you've interviewed many...Tell me how many females?"

Sierra seemed lost in her head. "None."

"You should trust no one at the moment."

Elias sat down on the sofa, hands folded at the back of his head. He squinted one eye before smiling. "Damn, this is going to piss off Alec." He guffawed. "I can already imagine his face."