Chapter 5 - Being Hurtfully Unprofessional

Late shift today. I punched my timecard at noon, and about went on towards the locker room, when someone grabbed my arm and pulled me into the large supply room and to a corner behind a shelf.

"Nay, honestly! What are you doing?!"

She immediately embraced me started crying. My heart dropped. Oh no, something's wrong. I wrapped my arms around her back as she trembled with cries.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" I asked, concerned for her.

"Nothing's wrong, everything is incredibly wonderful!"

Oh. This was her happy crying. "What happened?"

"I met Elvis!"

I smirked. I should had known. Even if I didn't like the guy, Nay did, and a lot. I had to be supportive. "Well, I'm glad that you met your favorite star. How did you meet him?"

"I... well, I came in early and... I snuck up to the fifth floor."

I gasped and brought her out in front of me. "Nay! You did what? You could be fired!"

"I wouldn't be fired since I wasn't on the clock."

"That doesn't matter. You're an employee here. If Mrs. Brunster found out about you going up to the fifth floor... I wouldn't have my best friend working with me anymore."

She took my hands that were gripping her shoulders and held them in front of us. "Hey, don't be such a drama queen. It was so worth it. I thought I would go up there and encounter nothing, but just like a film, when the elevator door opened, there he was, standing there out in the hallway with his manager! I couldn't believe my eyes!"

She started crying again, and I sat her down on some crates full of something sturdy enough to hold both of our weights. "Okay. Tell me about it."

"Well, I just stood there shocked, not able to move, and then he greeted me in that sexy southern drawl. I came out of the elevator, and I still stared at him like an idiot. He asked my name, so I told him, and he said it was a pleasure to meet me. He held out his hand, but I just hugged him instead. I couldn't help it. I hugged him and told him how much I love him and his music and his films..." More tears leaked from her eyes. "He hugged me back, and I think it was the most wonderful thing that I ever felt in my life. He smelled so good, and feeling the whole of him against me was just... heavenly."

I grimaced at that as she stared off dreamily at the shelving in front of us. "Well... I'm glad that you enjoyed meeting him."

"I did. And..." She looked back at me. Guilt entered her blue eyes. "Sarah, I told him about you. I said that I'm your best friend, and I... well, don't be mad, but I apologized for how you treated him."

My eyes widened, and my heart pricked in slight anger. I took my hands out of hers. "You what?"

"I know, and I'm sorry. I just didn't want him to feel bad. I told him not to take your dislike of him personally because you don't like famous people. I told him that you're really a good person, just... complicated."

I leaned my elbows on both of my knees and ran both hands down my face in disdain. "Nay..." I complained.

"I know, I know, but please, don't hate me for it. You know what? He said me telling him that set him at ease a little, meaning he was worrying about it. He was worrying about you, Sarah! He was thinking about you and worrying about what you really think about him."

"And thanks to you, now he knows. I guess that saves me from telling him myself."

"Sarah... I also told him that deep down, you were thankful that he shooed away that rude man the other day."