Chapter 18 - That Little Green Monster

I really did it this time... I allowed him to kiss my cheek for a few seconds! What was I thinking?! Right after telling Nay that I didn't want Elvis to think that he won, I went and let him take the lead. Now he knew that I had at least some feelings for him.

And he wouldn't let me live it down, knowing him.

"Arg!" I protested as I drove to the set the following Monday. "I can't believe I slipped! He seemed so happy that I was so flustered. Gosh..."

My hands tightened on the steering wheel as I came close to the film lot. I wasn't looking forward to seeing Elvis the whole day. Rich wanted the crew and actors to hop sets. Apparently, Elvis's character Vince had to go around to various places with this actress he would act with in a film, just so they could be seen together. That actress was Sherry, played by Jennifer Holden, the gal I met at the pool scene set. She was also a second love interest who, according to the script, Elvis had to kiss.

"I really hope I'm not there for that scene," I muttered as I pulled into a parking space to the building Rich wanted me in. He told me to wear my casual clothes, which was a plain black pencil skirt and a white blouse. I would be given clothing for whatever scene we were doing. "Okay, here I go. Time to avoid Elvis as much as possible."

I exited my Chevrolet and went through a side entrance to the building since that was where my dressing room was. This building wasn't the same as the one my actual dressing room was in, but it had one big enough to accommodate all the female extras, like the locker room at the hotel. At least, that was what I was told.

"Okay, where is this room?" I asked the air as I walked down the hallway, hoping that Elvis wouldn't suddenly appear. Someone else did, though, as I was walking. It was Jennifer, and she looked extremely pretty in a light-blue modest dress that hugged her figure and had short sleeves, and it had white dots all over it. She saw me and gave me a friendly smile.

"Oh, hello again," she said, and we both stopped in the hallway.

"Hello. Jennifer, right?"

"That's right. You're Sarah. We met at the pool set."

"I remember."

"Elvis told me that he was so excited that you were going to be here."

"Of course he did."

Her brows rose. "I saw you roll your eyes. You still aren't a fan of his, I take it."

I had to lie through my teeth so she wouldn't go and tell Elvis the truth, since they talked, apparently. Well, it was a partial truth since I didn't think the worst of Elvis anymore. "Yes, that's right. I'm here for work, not for him."

"Yes, Rich mentioned how he made you an on-going extra, and Elvis mentioned it, too. Boy, you must be flattered by his interest in you. I know I was when he tried to make a pass at me the first week we were filming together. I think that was before he met you. After, he didn't pay me any heed, which I don't mind at all." She leaned in and whispered, and her nice perfume filled my nose, "Just between us girls, I'm interested in another actor, but don't tell anyone I said anything."

Elvis had a thing for Jennifer before he was hooked on me? Something pricked my chest before I could stop it. "I won't tell a soul."

She smiled, showing straight white teeth. "Well, I'll see you on the set. It's a western set, which is so exciting. I think they used it for Elvis's first film Love Me Tender."

I knew it was a western set, like cowboys and saloons and things like that, but I didn't know it was used for Elvis's first film. That was actually kind of interesting. "I see. I'll see you later."