Chapter 20 - Elvis in the Kitchen

Going back in time here. I thought I would put in the little treat-making party that happened while Sarah was sick. And I realized that this recipe doesn't call for flour, but even so, the mental image of Elvis with flour on his face is still cute.

~ ~ ~

It took about twenty minutes to get out of the film lot. There were so many fans lining the outside of it. Naturally, they were mostly teen-aged girls. I got out and greeted a good portion of them. I thought about Sarah. How many of those girls would love to be in her shoes? Probably all of them, and they, unlike her, would be more than happy to be my new girlfriend. The news about me ending my relationship with Barbara wasn't known yet, thanks to the Colonel keeping a plug on it until further notice.

"C'mon, Elvis, let's go!" shouted the very man over the chaos. I signed one last signature for a blonde tween girl and got into the car, in the passenger's side as the Colonel was at the wheel. He drove on down the road.

"Wow-wee, it never gets old," I said, grinning.

"Tell me about it. The same with you asking to leave the set early."

"Only by a few hours. Nay gets off of work at three, so I had to be done by around four since she needed to get ingredients and such after work."

I had told him about my plans with Scotty, Judy and Nay, and he thought it a silly idea, even if there was a kindness factor since I wanted to make goodies for a sick person. I visited hospitals before, and ran charities at some of them, but never had I made treats for one specific person. I had no idea how to cook, anyway. Momma had me in the kitchen sometimes growing up, but she had to tell me what to do. This time, it was Judy and Nay's job to do that, mainly Nay since this was her recipe.

"You're not going to make me a part of this little baking party of yours, are you?" the Colonel asked with a chuckle.

"You don't have to if you don't want to. I just wanna do this for Sarah and not get in 'er face about it. I hope she likes it."

He snickered. "You've never learned to give up, even when it comes to girls. I admit, though, you may have hope since Miss Paul has warmed up to you. I couldn't help but laugh when she ran out of the set after you kissed Miss Holden. Every girl's the same, even if she started out hating you."

I smirked, thinking about watching her run away. It hurt to see it, but it made me happy because I knew she was jealous, and her being jealous meant that she felt something for me. Too bad she didn't want to do anything about her feelings.

"I think it's because I'm famous," I said as we came into the neighborhood my house was in, and I could see the apartments that Sarah lived in. "If I wasn't, she would be fine with me most likely."

"Can't go back from being famous, Elvis."

"Yeah, I know. And that's what's annoying."

He laughed, and we came to the house. It was a little after four, and I already saw a couple of cars there. I recognized one as Scotty's car, and the other, a dark-blue Cadillac, was most likely Judy's. I saw two people in each car. Greg was joining us. Of course, why would Judy not bring her husband along?

I waved at all of them as my manager drove by, and we went through the gate into the driveway. My rental house was boxy and white, not nearly as gorgeous as the mansion in Graceland that I purchased back in Memphis a month back. My parents were currently living there, along with Dodger.

Once everyone was parked in my large driveway wide enough to park the three cars, Nay bounced out of one of the cars and up to me, a wide smile on her face. Before I knew it, she had her arms around my neck in a hug, and I smelled her flowery perfume.