Chapter 12 - A Kind Gesture

Notes: 1) I knew that Scotty Moore was married a few times during his lifetime, I just don't know when, so we'll just say that he's single in this story.

2) Elvis met long-time girlfriend Anita Wood in 1957, but I'm not sure when. Probably near the end of the year, so she won't be in the story. I also don't know when his relationship with Barbara ended. I'll add her though. Also, the story's time period so far: May of 1957 since filming for the movie started May 1st.

~ ~ ~

In the past, since starting high school, I had gone steady with three girls, the third being Barbara who I still had to talk to, and with all three of them, I had not felt this jealous. Something told me that Sarah was flirting with that guy on purpose, just to get at me, but maybe she was actually interested in him.

"Elvis, what's eatin' you?"

I looked over at my pal Scotty Moore who I had known for a few years. We met back in 1954 when I was still working with Sam Phillips, the first man who put me out there after I was rejected a few times from Sun Records. It was in Sam's studio that I met Scotty. He had been my good friend and background guitarist ever since.

"Ah, nothin'," I said as I forced myself to look away from Sarah as she spoke with one of the other women extras. She looked absolutely steamy in that outfit of hers. I knew she was a petite little thing, and curvy, but seeing her in that swimsuit... It made my whole body tingle and heart pound like a drum when I first saw her. That extra skin at her belly, showing off her belly button, was probably the hottest aspect of her outfit.

"Doesn't seem like nothin'," Scotty said with a chuckle. "So, that's Sarah, huh?"

"Yeah, that's her." I whistled. "And wow..."

"You're hopeless, you know."

I gave him a questioning look. "And what about you? The moment you saw her friend Nay, you had hearts in your eyes. You could hardly even talk when she came up to talk to ya. You're never like that."

My good friend blushed and let off a sheepish smile. "Okay, okay, yeah, I'm the one to talk. I don't think I've been instantly loony about a girl before."

"It happened when I first met Sarah." I sighed sadly. "I knew when I met 'er, though, that she didn't like me. Why'd I have to fall for a girl who hates me? She even bought one of the Colonel's I HATE ELVIS buttons."

He put a hand on my left shoulder and shook it reassuringly. "Well, it makes things more interesting."

"Yeah, in a hurtful sort of way. I don't think she's ever gonna like me like that."

"Gives ya some time to straighten things out with Barbara. You two have been a little rocky lately."

"Because we haven't had time to see each other, and... well, what I still need to tell 'er... I'm completely head over heels for another girl who, I think, is hooked on another guy." I pointed. "I think she's really interested in that one."

Scotty looked to where I was looking, and we both saw that Sarah had stopped talking with that other gal and started talking to that brunette with a jaw squarer than mine. Jealousy pinched my sternum again.

"It seems to me like she's trying to make you jealous," Scotty said. "She's glancing over here every now and again."

Proving what he said to be true, she looked over at the stage, then back at the guy she was talking to. "Maybe. If she is, it's workin'."

"Either that, or she's trying to annoy you." He laughed. "Wow, she's one interesting gal."

"Tell me about it."