Popular

"One, Two-"

Brett swung his staff too early and Eddy closed his eyes in pure frustration.

"At FOUR, listen to my instructions, oh my GOD-"

Eddy rubbed his eyes, already fed up with teaching the young one.

The competitors who can enter the Familiar Worldcup are chosen with two criteria: grades and a signature magical move a magician can produce with the familiar.

Grade wise, Eddy knew they stood no chance when they looked at Brett's devastating grade report. Seriously, this kid should have been kicked out of this school a long time ago.

However, if they can show some cool fire manipulation magic for the tryout, the judges might change their minds. At least, that was what Eddy was hoping for.

Eddy wasn't even asking much of Brett. Eddy will be the one breathing fire into the air and Brett could just help shape the fire. How about a shape of dragon opening his mouth, how cool would that be? However, based on Brett's performance, the only shape Brett could achieve so far looked more like a horse manure than a dragon's head.

Brett yelped when Eddy spewed flame into the air, sighing.

"Alright, young man. What's holding your concentration back?"

"Um....I'm....kind of afraid of...burning myself?" Brett weakly smiled, holding his staff.

"You're a summoner of a dragon - a natural fire creature. Say that in front of Stacy and you'll see her running away from you as if she saw a koala with syphilis," Eddy rolled his eyes.

Brett bit his nails anxiously.

"And STOP biting your nail!"

Brett immediately put his hands down, embarrassed.

"...Alright, I now know how elementary you are with your...magic. Let's start with something simple instead."

Eddy stepped closer to take Brett's hands. He held Brett's hands tightly together, making Brett look like he is praying.

"Ok, Brett. I want you to concentrate all your magic into your hands and your fingertips."

Brett blushed as he felt the warmth of Eddy surrounding his hand. Brett imagined the warmth spreading to his entire hands, like a crawling vine.

Noticing Brett's concentration, Eddy slowly moved Brett's hands so that it was rubbing each other.

"Oh!"

Brett's eyes opened in surprise. Fire sparks were raining from between his fingers. Brett felt like he was holding shooting stars in his hands.

"See? It's not that hot. Get used to that most basic fire magic for today." Eddy ordered.

Brett nodded his head in enthusiasm.

"Alright, we made some progress. And... there is another important thing left."

"What?" Brett asked, curious.

"You need to look presentable at the tryout, of course."

Eddy swiftly took Brett's glasses off.

"Hey, I can't see anything without it." Brett protested.

"Hmm...." Eddy crossed his arms, examining Brett's plain face.

"....Nah, my mistake. Abort, abort." Eddy put the glasses back on Brett's eyes.

Brett adjusted his glasses, annoyed.

"First, let's get the hair done then we will touch up with your robe design."

In a few minutes, Brett's hair was now covered in gel, combed backward to reveal his forehead. Eddy ripped Brett's long robe so that it will only come up to his hips.

"How do you know if this will make me more popular?" Brett asked, confused and uncomfortable.

"Believe me young one. Grandpa lived a long life and he's a pro at this kind of stuff," Eddy chuckled, making a final touch on Brett's hair.

.

.

Brett devoted the rest of the afternoon practicing basic fire magic under Eddy's watchful eyes. After dinner, Brett was already tired to the bones. He fell face-first into the bed, knocked out.

"Hey, little one. You need to take your robe off," Eddy said, sitting next to Brett.

Brett groaned as he pulled the buttons off and threw the robe on the floor. He crawled into the sheet, ready to sleep. Eddy slid next to Brett, blowing the light out.

The room was dark and quiet.

Brett was half-dreaming when Eddy whispered apologetically to Brett.

"...I'm hungry, Brett."

Brett heard a growl coming from the creature's stomach. The beast hasn't received any mavis since the morning and he was starving.

So at least twice a day, Brett thought to himself. Might as well get used to it now until the Council figures out how to break the vow.

"Alright, come on," Brett sighed as he turned his head toward the beast.

Brett closed his eyes as Eddy leaned forward, enclosing his lips in his again. Eddy's breath faintly smelled of smoke and firewood. 

I'm just feeding him. He's hungry. He's just my familiar.

Brett chanted the three sentences like a rune in his head. The chanting didn't help Brett to stop blushing when Eddy pulled away, smacking his lips. Eddy definitely wanted more but he didn't want to drain Brett's mavis and make him any more tired than he was now.

"Thank you," Eddy whispered, turning his head away from Brett.

Brett laid in silence, sensing the dragon next to him slowly falling asleep.

Look, it's just business.

Brett muttered inside his head. Despite his tired body, his mind was wide awake. Brett looked at the curve of the beast's body, listening to the beast's faint breathing echoing in his room. Then an idea came up in Brett's mind.

Maybe if he holds the beast's hand while he's asleep...maybe the beast will not be so hungry in the morning?

Brett hesitantly reached his hand and placed it on top of Eddy's. Eddy didn't wake up - his breathing still rhythmic and deep.

Brett slowly interlocked his fingers with Eddy's, feeling the warmth of the dragon spreading into him. Eddy sighed in his sleep and instinctively wrapped his fingers more tightly around Brett's hand. The warmth of Eddy's hand was finally luring Brett to sleep when he heard Eddy murmur in his sleep -

"Reia..."

.

.

Eddy still remembered the day clearly, even though it was more than 500 years ago.

The girl was staring at him with bright eyes, her red hair blowing in the wind. The breath of his fire encircled the girl and torched the ground to ashes but the girl stood smiling in the flame.

"I'm sorry, beast. All the fire in the world cannot burn me."

THE BEASTOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara