500 years - Tido Kang: Past Life

"Ok, so no flying," Eddy muttered when he saw the Asnadel troop surrounding the valley. The barrier of the fairy's territory was broken. The fairies were fighting with the troop to charge them out of the forest but it was not working very well. Even amongst the chaos, they would be noticed immediately if Eddy turns into his dragon form and fly. They will need to fly after they reach the far end of the forest.

"So we walk?" Brett looked up at Eddy, worried.

"No, young one. We run. And we fight if we meet the scouts," Eddy quickly kissed Brett's forehead, still warm from a little fever.

Eddy wished they had more time to rest before they run away but it seems that Karian quickly realized his trick. Brett's fever still worried him. Eddy was only hoping Brett would be alright at least until they get to somewhere secluded.

Brett was holding a small bag with the Phoenix egg. As he clutched the bag tightly in his chest, he could feel the fast heartbeat of the creature. The creature that wants to be born and to live. Brett couldn't help but feel that the phoenix resembles Eddy in some way. Could they really speak fault to the egg for its appetite, which was merely trying to crack out of its shell?

Maybe Eddy hated the egg so much from the first glance because it resembled himself so much. He knew how much disaster the mere existence of himself brings to the people around him.

"Alright," Brett whispered, patting the egg gently.

They ran out of the fairy's territory and to the edge of the forest. However, something felt weird when they walked out of the territory. The air had a slight electric tension in it and the sky was purple and glazed.

"Fuck," Eddy murmured when he felt an invisible barrier around the forest, trapping them. All the magic would be reduced and twisted inside the barrier as well, restraining the calciber.

"We need to break this barrier to get out," Eddy sighed impatiently, annoyed at how much effort Karian is putting in to catch them.

"How?" Brett asked, feeling the force of the barrier pulling his strength down.

Then they heard the wheeze of the bullets hitting the trees around them. Eddy quickly took Brett in his arms and hid behind the big boulder. Brett didn't dare to make a sound as Eddy peeked out from the rock. There were 7-8 soldiers on scouts, shouting that they saw two figures around here.

"I'll take care of them," Eddy whispered, squeezing Brett's hand.

"No, don't go Eddy-" Brett shook his head in fear.

"Hey, young one. I will be alright. Do you trust me?" Eddy took Brett's face in his hands, gazing at his eyes.

How could he not trust Eddy? He was the only one he trusted in the world right now.

"Of course," Brett replied, trembling.

"While I'm taking care of them, you need to figure out how to break the barrier."

"Me?" Brett asked, wide-eyed.

"Yes, young magician. You are smart and talented. You can do this, Brett."

Eddy's intense stare locked into Brett's and Brett nodded slowly.

"Be safe," Brett whispered as he let Eddy go.

"I will."

.

.

Brett gripped Reia's staff tightly, focusing on the barrier's spell surrounding him. The scream of the soldiers, the rip of the skin and spilling of blood, and Eddy's monstrous growls faded to the background as he concentrated, searching for the one knot, the one weak spot that will unravel all the complicated structures of the magic.