Fix you

It was weird to listen to what his past life was, directly from someone who made out with his past life 500 years ago.

Brett gingerly touched a small crack on his silver earrings. He could understand now why his grandfather wanted to have the earring on him at all times. First, because he didn't want Brett's mavis to overflow and kill him. Secondly, to protect him from being used in the wrong hands like Reia did.

"Is my mavis flowing better now?" Brett asked anxiously.

"No, it's still pathetically low," Eddy replied quietly.

Eddy felt a sudden surge of mavis at the moment when the earring cracked from a forceful command runes. However, the protection of the earring was working again despite the damage. Brett's mavis was in control, thankfully.

Brett sighed in relief. As long as he had his earring on and doesn't crack it, he could live a normal life.

Well, as normal as it can be. Brett's mind raced as he thought of this new circumstance.

If he kept his earring to block his mavis, Eddy will go wild over the hunger again. The council will kill him for sure. Could he talk his way out of the council that it was not Eddy but Reia who killed all the people? Would they believe it? And how could he prove it?

All the while, Eddy looked at Brett for a long time, not sure what to make of him. Everything made sense now though. How Brett could still summon a dragon despite his oddly low mavis.

They were already bonded by a familiar contract 500 years ago.

Eddy knew in his head that Reia was technically a different person from Brett. Still, he just couldn't get over the fact that Brett was the reincarnation of his worst nightmare. The reason why he was so drawn to Brett from the first moment was so evident now. How his giggles and innocence captured him like no others.

All of it. Made sense. Now. Painfully so.

Eddy stood up from the bed, wincing from the pain in his shoulder.

"I don't think you should move right now," Brett stood up alongside Eddy trying to support him. Eddy recoiled back.

"Don't touch me," Eddy said in a soft voice.

Brett froze in his track, hearing a struggle in Eddy's voice.

"I haven't forgiven you yet for what you have done," Eddy whispered.

And I'm not going to let myself be hurt like that ever again.

Brett's face felt hot. He was not Reia. He couldn't even remember any of what Eddy has said. However, Brett also knew that if Eddy needed some kind of resolution about what happened 500 years ago, Brett might be the only one who could help him.

"I don't know Reia but if she was...the same soul from me, I feel like ...she would have regretted everything in the end," Brett stumbled upon his words, trying to make sense out of it.

"That doesn't justify anything," Eddy spat angrily.

"No, it doesn't. But she ... she would have missed you, Eddy."

Brett's voice rang like an echo in Eddy's head.

She missed me?

If she was going to miss me, why did she let me go?

Eddy trembled in pure rage, the emotion he tried to control for so many years in that very cave Reia sealed him in.

"I waited for 500 years, 500 years," Eddy closed his eyes, clenching his teeth.