Unravel

Something was wrong when Brett woke up in the middle of the night.

The coldness of his bed spoke absence. The room was silent. Too silent for his liking.

"Eddy...?" Brett called out, hearing no reply.

Brett slowly walked to the open window. There was a red light flickering from the curtain and a sound of commotion outside. He heard there was a village party near the school today. Was it a firework?

Brett gasped when he looked outside. The village outside the school was on fire. There were people running away, running away from...

"Oh shit," Brett whispered as he recognized a small figure in the distance.

Eddy? Why?

Brett grabbed his broken staff from the side of the bed and ran outside. The air was stuffy and hot from smoke. Why did Eddy run out of bed and randomly decided to torch the whole village down? Hunger? He fed him well today - too well, to be honest. What the hell was his problem?

Eddy was dazed as he squinted through the smoke. He felt like his brain was dislocated from his body as he blew yet another stream of fire to the building.

Hunger. It dominated him, eating him alive from the inside.

He remembered waking up in the night, feeling terribly hungry. He has never felt this hungry in his entire life. His body twitched as he hovered over Brett, yearning to eat.

He doesn't remember much of what happened after that. Maybe he ate Brett? He didn't quite recall. He just tried to remove himself from the situation as best as possible, running out of the window. And he landed here, too hungry to think straight.

Eddy saw a child tripping, falling to the ground next to him. The child's cry was pitiful, ringing in Eddy's ear. Eddy picked the child up with his one hand, strangling him.

Oh yes, a little mavis. He could feel it.

The question was...did he want rare or medium-rare?

Eddy licked his lips. Eddy should have known that as a familiar contract, he could only receive mavis from Brett but he was not in a right state of mind to think through that. He just felt the pulsing blood of the child, the burning hunger, a plump juicy meat in front of him, just begging to be eaten.

"Eddy, no!!"

He heard a voice he recognized from the back. Eddy turned, facing a horror-stricken Brett, running to him.

Oh, it was Brett.

Eddy sighed in relief.

Just wait for a minute, Brett.

Eddy smiled at Brett, gesturing to the child in his hand.

Don't worry.

After I eat the child,

I will eat you too.

"It's the beast!"

Brett heard people screaming as police teams arrived

"Stop right there, monster!" The polices aimed their guns at Eddy, threatening him.

Eddy turned his attention to the polices. He put down the child, who scrambled back, crying. Eddy growled to the untasty mass in front of him, noticing their weapons.

Eddy stepped closer to the police team as if he wanted to kill every one of them.

Bang!