Lust or hunger

The Book of Dragons page 371:

The barbaric nature of dragons can be seen from their mating as well. There have been multiple occasions when a dragon was found dead during mating because his or her mate would attack the dragon to devour on its corpse for mavis.

Brett ached all over when he woke up. He fumbled for his glasses only to realize that the bed was empty. He was alone.

"...Eddy?"

Brett tried to sit up but winced as the pain hit him for real this time. His swollen lips were throbbing and his neck was bruised and sore. His shoulders were covered with bloody scratches, evident through his ripped clothes.

Brett finally found his glasses and put them on. He saw Eddy staring at him, sitting at the far corner of the room.

"...good morning?" Brett asked uncertainly.

Eddy's eyes were stern and deep as he sat motionless in the chair.

"You're hurt."

"It's not too bad," Brett flexed his arms a little, trying not to make a face as a dull pain radiated through his shoulder.

"That's not the point," Eddy snarled. "What were you thinking?"

"What were you thinking?" Brett countered. He wasn't going to let Eddy blame everything on him for last night. It was Eddy who kissed him first, after all, this stupid feeding system they made.

Eddy sighed as he ran his finger through his hair slowly.

"This...whatever is happening...cannot work."

"I didn't expect it to be easy either," Brett murmured.

Eddy snorted as he rolled his eyes.

"Age, race, gender, power?? Tell me one thing that is not wrong in this mess and I will hear you."

Brett fell silent as Eddy stood up, pacing the room, frustrated.

"What were you thinking, young one? Haven't you read that we dragons confuse lust for hunger? If I begin to feel you in any vaguely similar concept, you're putting yourself in real danger. Especially when your mavis is so low that I'm always hungry anyway. I'll lose myself and god only knows what I might do next time."

I might end up killing you.

Brett didn't dare to protest as he sensed fear in Eddy's voice. Brett knew he was being impulsive last night and yes, he was probably being too reckless. Probably overestimating his familiar's control for hunger at least. But the confusion in his head demanded an answer, and he got it last night.

The memory of the beast almost eating him alive last night was Eddy's answer.

The fear in Eddy's voice in the morning was the answer.

Eddy was right. This was a bad move Brett shouldn't have made.

What would the council do if they learn that the dragon has been hurting Brett? It will be a definite proof to confirm Eddy as dangerous and kill the dragon when the code of vocamen has been broken. And the last thing Brett wanted to do was to give all the more reasons why Eddy should be eradicated.

"I don't want to hurt you, Brett," Eddy stopped in the middle of the room, looking away from Brett with guilt.

"...I understand," Brett muttered.

"You're just confused, young one. You're kissing a hot lad every night so I understand, alright?" Eddy managed a joke and Brett chuckled back nervously.