Alexandra

Alexandra couldn't sleep.

She had always said that the Palace beds were too soft. Even after twenty three good years, she sometimes found it annoying. It felt as if the foamy mattress was engulfing her. And she wondered how she had survived as a Princess all those years in Doveland.

Liam never helped matters: it didn't take him more than five minutes to fall asleep. Alexandra, meanwhile, was more of an owl: she found it difficult to sleep at night, and even more difficult to wake up. It had been a different plane of embarrassment when she had had to ask Liam, "can you teach me to sleep?".

And a different plane of irritation when he had had a good laugh about it. Alexandra had watched on, with a straight, unimpressed face. Sleeplessness was not something she had had forever. In fact, as she herself agreed - sleep decreasing with age was quite common. Then again, some people just got lucky. Like Liam.

'Let your thoughts flow,' he had then advised- getting over laughing. As it wasn't very difficult, Alexandra had decided to give it a try. But as usual, nothing went as expected. After about an hour of wondering, she had finally whispered back,

'Liam, don't be angry, but can you tell me how the mapmakers make maps?'

'What?!' He had asked back, snapping awake. 'Postmasters?'

'Mapmakers.' Alexandra had repeated, making a square with her fingers. 'How do they know what the countries look like? How do they know how big a country is? How do they know where it begins and where it ends?' She had demanded. She had sincerely let her thoughts flow, but that was where they were going. Mapmakers weren't supernatural species, so how did they manage to figure out what the world looked like?

'They imagine it.' Liam had guessed, 'you better ask them.'

The disinterest had further pricked Alexandra. 'You mean we are living on some people's imagination? Why can't they be wrong?' She had asked.

'Why should we care?' He had asked back. Alexandra hadn't really known why she cared. All she knew was that it was very irresponsible to believe the mapmakers. What if they had got everything wrong? What if Vedessa's shape didn't resemble a rough-edged square parchment?

'We should care because we live in it!' She had pressed.

'You know what, Alexandra,' Liam had replied, side-stepping the question and turning to look at her, rather seriously. 'There was once a woman who kept asking questions and questions and questions. People didn't have any answer for her, and even if they did reply once, she popped up two more questions. Eventually, everybody began ignoring her. So the woman was left with no choice but to store her questions in her head. And then, one fine day, her head, so conceited with queries and unable to contain them - simply burst into a million pieces.'

'Who made such a silly story?! Why are you telling me this?' Alexandra had demanded, making a face. But a second later, she had clapped a hand to her mouth, realizing that the woman in the story was her and that she really had popped up two more questions.

'Think about it,' he had advised, his smirk visible despite the dark. 'Who made the story. I'll just drop a small hint - his name starts with an L. And right now, he desperately wants to sleep.'

Alexandra smiled to herself, turning the queer memory over in her mind. That was exactly what could be expected when she let her thoughts flow. And tonight, Alexandra couldn't risk it. Liam's side of the bed was empty. And she knew trying was no good. Sleep was not her best friend.

Aimlessly, she got up and pulled her cloak on. Maybe a small walk would do her some good. Alexandra pensively descended the rows of shining staircases, hoping she did not run into anybody. Avoiding trouble was the best policy.