Ophelia

Ophelia gave Natalia her scabbard. The sword was only to give a warrior's appearance, not to be used. But Natalia wanted to try it. So... the sword was not too heavy. It was basically out if Natalia's scope.

She could see that, the way her muscles strained and not flexed... beads of perspiration lined her forehead. Even Ryan looked worried. But then, Natalia was a Princess.

'I can do it,' she said, 'just takes a little time...' her hand shook, holding the sword with a single hand for the first time. Hmm, better than before. Ophelia walked upto her.

'Swing it.'

Natalia did, and it was surprisingly good. Ophelia bent out of the way just in time. 'Sorry!' Natalia cried, but Ryan laughed.

'Don't slice off Edgar's head, even if you really want to, Natalia.' He said, surprising Ophelia. She had thought he'd take another dig at her. The very sight of him irked her, why did he have to be attractive then? The gods were rather unfair with how they meted out characteristics. Shrewd, provoking, egoistic, but attractive. Why!?

Ophelia shook her head, thinking about it would only make it worse. 'Tell me something about the Venemina.' The other side of the stream was in view. This was urgent.

Natalia was busy doing something with the sword that looked suspiciously as if she was swatting flies.

'They are dangerous, cunning, venomous and seductive.' Ryan paused, 'And their very touch poisons you. You won't die instantly at a single touch, but it slowly takes a toll on everything. They are beautiful. Somebody would call them irresistible.'

Ophelia pointed to her face, she was sure it was weather-beaten, grimy. And her expression wasn't good either. 'Will this do?' For the beautiful part, obviously.

Ryan was slightly taken aback, but he composed himself quickly, and nodded, a little stiff.

Ophelia couldn't help a triumphant smile. If she could, if she had the slightest control, she wouldn't smile. But it happened, and thankfully, Ryan was too busy in finding a proper spot to halt at.

They still had to walk quite a bit to reach that solitary hut. A small cat mewed at the entrance, but the hut itself was completely silent. Ophelia helped Natalia up, and then looked at the hut... no, Edgar couldn't have seen them. That hut had no window.

She looked at Ryan, her eyes drawn to the beads of perspiration dotting his biceps. She wondered if he could defeat her in a duel, those biceps looked made up with working not dueling. But then probably, he very much could. He had overthrown an entire dynasty... what had she done?

'Don't stare now, Princess. Don't the Vedessan men have anything to excite you?' He asked, straightening up. Ophelia turned red, and for the first time, she couldn't reply. It had hit hard that truly, the Vedessan men hadn't excited her at all. Not the way Ryan did... wait, Ophelia couldn't think be thinking that.

She huffed, 'I was only wondering if you were malnourished.' She replied, after a long, awkward pause.

'You haven't seen me eat,' and he brushed past her. Actually brushed past her, their arms touching momentarily. Ophelia's skin fired up at the contact. She was almost outraged, but couldn't speak a word. The contact had felt painfully good, and she couldn't protest.

He put a brotherly arm around Natalia (at least Ophelia liked to think that it was brotherly) and steered her away. He didn't seem to mind Edgar seeing. 'Natalia,' he told her, rather warmly, 'Come to us when you hear me laugh, alright? Only then."

She nodded.

'I'll try to make sure you don't need to use that sword.' Ophelia added, 'If we ever even come to that part. This plan sounds stupid to me.'