Liam

What do you do when you lose something that you never expected to? Do you search for it frantically? Liam did. When you don't find it, do you try harder than before to do so? Liam did.

But you don't find it. What next?

After a lifetime of skirmishes, problems and pain, after all the heroics he had done, and felt himself capable of, Liam felt the closest to defeated he had ever been. All over Vedessa, Caratania, the DK, even Ethoris, there was no trace of Ophelia. Little did he know that several letters had been written to him and Alexandra, all opened on the borders of a nation named Theronsia. They were read and scrutinized, and as per Royal Orders, discarded.

Ronald had a hand, Nicholas had done it - by now it was clear that foreign powers were involved - but where? How? After having surveyed the security of the Palace, Liam had realized that it was woefully easy for a person cunning enough, to find loopholes. And upon that, had it been Ronald, which guard would possibly stop him?

His own son's words didn't satisfy him the way Adam's had. Was he partial towards Ophelia? Liam didn't care. All he knew was that if Nicholas had gone missing, he would have felt the same way.

But he couldn't focus. Defeat. The word irked him, defeat... how could he lose? But then perhaps, this was the arrogance Ariston had been warning him about. He couldn't be bothered to check it: all he did these days was rule and duel. That crown, for the first time, felt heavy on his head. Worry: worry of who would wear it next, three children, and none of them worthy. Was he any better than his father?

Duel.

It was the only thing that kept him sane. Even as his hair turned gray, finally, he dueled much fiercer than before. Something, a hidden wildness, had been unleashed. It was his way of channeling anger that he could not show otherwise. Alexandra didn't take others' anger really well. And Liam was angry, but he didn't have the energy to argue with Alexandra right now.

Adam Phillicks no longer partnered him. The boy was inexperienced and young, and after the ordeal, Liam had no intention to see him again. He dueled with Captains, their sword work much quicker and challenging. Even now, he allowed the tall man, taller than him, to weave in an around him. No, this wouldn't do. Liam needed much more challenge than this.

Somebody like Alexandra.

The thought had just entered his head that a voice struck him, commanding and furious, 'Stop this nonsense!'

Alexandra. But he wouldn't stop, Liam looked the Captain in the eye, 'Keep going.'

Footsteps, first slow, then hastened, approached Liam. He felt irritated, like he usually did, at the inability of people to understand him.

'You don't let yourself be understood, Liam. And then you do such crazy things!'

She was the one mind-reading now?

'Alexandra,' he said, 'would you mind not intruding upon the one thing that's keeping me together right now?'

She didn't reply, but the very next second, something flashed before Liam's eyes and there was a clatter of blades.

Just Moira.

And she had disarmed them both with comical ease. For probably the umpteenth time in his history, Liam wanted to set fire to everything around him. Instead, he smiled. It was a habit.

'Thank you, Captain. It's late now.' he was surprised there was no tremor in his voice as he dismissed the unperturbed man. Everybody knew Queen Alexandra was unpredictable.

When he was gone, she brought back his sword to Liam, 'It's heavy, isn't it?' She almost heaved it. Liam couldn't help melting a little at the sight, but only a little. Very little, an infinitesimal amount. The rest him was just frozen up with shock, he had seen bad things in his life, and never been friendly to his short-lived brother. But Liam would have never even thought of doing what Nicholas seemed to have done.