12. lost & confused

jakes pov

"is lucy here with us?" sam asks

we all wait for a sign and for a moment it's completely silent except for the sound of colby shivering. i look over at him, worried. i was keeping my eye on him a lot throughout the seance but he seems to be getting progressively worse. he hasn't said a word either. then i notice the tears on his face.

"colby?" i ask quietly, trying to check if he's okay

suddenly a door slams open and as our eyes look for the source of the noise the candles blow out, leaving us in the dark. i look back at sam who is wildly directing the camera around and looking for a flashlight.

"guys it's 3:33am." corey informs us as he looks at his phone.

"where's colby?" sam says, pointing his camera towards the spot where colby once sat.

"what just happened?" corey asks, in a state of shock.

when we stand up, i also start to panic as i look around and see no sign of colby.

"colby's not here guys, we need to find him." i say, really worried because of the state he was in and the possible reason why.

"he's not in the bathroom?" sam asks, going towards the door.

we all follow to find an empty room. my panic rises at not knowing where he is, if he's okay or safe.

"sam, stop filming! this is serious. we need to go look for him. he wasn't well, hasn't been well since we left the basement. stop filming me, turn off the camera!" i say loudly, getting more frustrated.

sam and corey look at me in shock that i had raised my voice. sam lowers the camera and goes to turn on the lights.

"okay, it's okay man. we'll find him, i'm sorry." sam says as the lights come back on.

i try and calm myself down and breath so i can think clearly and find colby.

"maybe we should go over the footage and we might be able to see where he went." i suggest after a few calming breaths.

"yeah that's a good idea, come on." sam replies.

we all gather round the camera and sam fast forwards through the footage till we get to about half an hour into the seance. we see the front door slam open. then sam grabs the camera and points it towards the door, colby still in the shot as he was sitting closest to it. after that, the candles go out so the camera quickly pans down as sam grabs a flashlight. the camera points up and there is no colby to be seen.

"shit, shit, shit... shit." i say under my breath

"do you think he went out the door?" corey asks.

"maybe. jake, did you say colby has been feeling bad since we left the basement earlier?"

"um yeah, we spoke about it in the bathroom and i said it was quite weird because lucy froze to death because she was thrown out of the basement and he was feeling really cold... shit, guys this isn't good, i'm really worried. what if something happens to him?" i say, on the verge of tears.

"hey it's okay, he can't be too far. maybe we should look around and head towards the basement? it all seems to be linked to lucy." corey suggest, always seemingly in tune with what is going on.

"yeah i think you're right, let's go." sams says.

i walk really fast, almost running, whilst looking around erratically for any sign of colby. i can't lose him now, he means everything to me. so i keep going until we get close to the basement, the boys a bit further behind me. i go to go into the building, when i think i hear a whimper coming from behind. i listen closer and follow the direction it came from. i head towards cries coming from the grass and that's when i see him.