9. when you're ready

colby's pov

my heart still feels unsteady as we continue to walk around the hotel. i'm not sure if it's because of the interruption or the rush of being so close to jake. for now, i couldn't think about it. still, i couldn't help my eyes from lingering on him when he was messing around and i could definitely feel his eyes on me. i couldn't meet his stare just yet though, especially when there is a video to be filmed.

we finally make it to our room, 428. we've been filming the place for a while when i notice jake has been on his phone for quite a long time. bringing myself to look around at him, i can also tell he is rather upset by whatever he is looking at. i easily slip away from sam and corey's conversation and approach my distressed friend. i go over to where he is perched on the bed and touch his shoulder, he looks up at me with worry in his eyes.

"tara- she just uploaded a q&a. everyone knows we're not together anymore. she didn't even ask me." he says, dully.

"i'm sorry jake, she should have at least warned you. do you want to maybe get some fresh air?"

"yeah that might help a bit, i definitely need a nap at some point too."

a small laugh escapes me as i help him up off the bed.

"guys, we're just going to get some air." i announce, sam nods despite the slight confusion that i can see in his face. he'll probably figure it out soon enough, news spreads fast.

we leave the room, the door closing behind us. i lace my hand into his and squeeze in hopes of offering him some sort of comfort. leading him down 4 floors, we make it outside and find a bench to sit on. i never let go of his hand and it's not long before his head is resting on my shoulder.

"how are you feeling about people knowing?" i say after a few minutes of comfortable silence.

"i mean i know people were going to find out eventually, i just wasn't expecting it right now. i think i'm just not going to say anything for now, people already know all there is to know at the moment."

"that's completely fair. it's up to you how you want to deal with this, it's your life after all. but you can count on me and all our friends to be there for you no matter what okay?" i say softly. reaching up, he wraps his arms around my shoulders.

"thank you so much, colby." he let's go. there's a moment of silence.

"do you think people will wonder why?" he asks, looking a bit uneasy.

"probably but like i said it's up to you. if or when you're ready. you don't have to do anything you don't want to. but maybe have a talk with tara about her video as well."

"yeah you're probably right." he smiles up at me and we just look at each other for a few moments.

"aren't i always?" i say with a grin. i feel myself reaching out to him again, bringing him in for another embrace. lingering for a second before i pull away. i go to stand up but feel a hand pull me back down.

"colby i- i really am thankful for you. i know we don't get soppy a lot but i just want to tell you you're hands down the best, most caring person i know."

"thanks jake, really. i'm so grateful for you too. and hey, you can get soppy with me anytime." i say with a slight smirk.
"thanks," he says with a laugh, "we should probably go back up, i'm imagining sam isn't happy with us slacking off."

"he'll just have to deal with it." i tell him, jokingly.

looking at him, i find myself reminded of the position i was in just a few hours prior when i was last alone with jake. i couldn't help but wonder just for a moment what would have happened, had sam and corey not walked in. on the other hand, i quickly remember that now probably isn't the best time for quite a few reasons. so i stand up with my hand out, which he is rather quick to grab.

"can we take a nap now?"

"hopefully soon, yeah."

hand in hand, we make it back to our room. we let go of one another before opening the door, both of us wanting to avoid being prodded with questions and teasing.

"there you guys are, we thought maybe you two finally got a room." sam joked.

i could feel myself go slightly pink, "ha-ha sammy, did you guys find out anything while we were gone?"

sam filled us in on what we had missed. they had been playing with the box device and said they seemed to be in contact with a man.

"at one point we heard it say, "a storm is coming your way", it was so clear dude." corey says, freaking out again slightly.

after a while, we decide we have enough footage for now and that we should get some sleep until it is dark out. jake is quick to get into the bed, desperate for a few hours of sleep. i can't say i blame him after the day he seems to be having. sam and corey go on their phones for the first time in a couple of hours and it's not long before sam looks up at me, followed by corey. it was obvious they had figured out what has been going on with jake. i give him a smile that probably looks more like a grimace and head over to the bed.

i slip in next to jake, getting as close to him as i can without waking him. soon enough, i feel myself falling asleep, content with his warmth beside me. as my eyes droop for the last time, nadia's whispered words cross my mind again.

"you two will find each other, just trust your actions."