Love Blooming

Novembers at Hogwarts meant frozen pipes and biting winds. Draco had been waiting for you to wake up for some time before finally rolling over in bed. He'd switched out his silky soft sheets and comforter for a set of flannel ones and a thick, warm quilt. Even with the change, the tip of his nose was still exposed to the chill of his room; so he pressed it into your hair, breathing your homie scent deep into his lungs.

"Y/N," he said, voice still scratchy from sleep, "wake up, love. You're gonna be late for class again."

Draco moved your hair away from your neck, peppering your back and shoulder blades with warm, tender kisses. He was used to you fighting him in the mornings. The past few weeks, you'd spent the better half of your evenings in his room and he'd learned to either wake you up slowly or not at all, as the Dark Lord's wrath had nothing on yours come eight am.

Today though, the soft huff you offered was nothing like the groan of resistance you usually gave him.

"I can't," you told him quietly, "I can't get up today, Dray."

You were awake. You had been for a while, thanks to the intruding thoughts running rampant through your head. It was the best time of year; one filled with food and friends and togetherness. Despite seeing your sister just a few weeks ago, you still felt something missing — a hole carved out in your chest where your heart should've sat. Instead, it was hollow. The same biting winds that blew through Hogwarts' courtyard ripped right through you, leaving you raw and aching from windburn.

"Is everything alright? What's wrong, poppet?" Draco pushed the quilt down your body, moving to kiss along your ribs. He took it upon himself to roll you onto your back, trailing his warm lips up your skin until he made it to your cheek. When he saw your exhausted pout, his heart hurt for you.

"This Thursday is Thanksgiving back home. All my family is gonna be getting together and none of them will even realize that I'm not there."

The emotional ties of family was one thing that Draco understood well. No matter how tight a noose they had around one's neck, you always missed them once they cut you free. He matched your pouty-lipped expression, "Oh, honey. I thought you were enjoying having a bit of time away from them?"

"My parents, yes," you replied, "not my nephews. Not my cousins or grandparents — I don't see them much as it is, and this year it's even less."

Tears glittered against your eyelashes and he moved quickly to thumb them away as they rolled over your cheeks. "Please don't cry, Y/N. What can I do to make it better? Is there some way we can arrange for them to remember you just for a day?"

You'd been trying to sort out something like that yourself. Using Obliviate had long been known as a permanent charm. It wasn't easily reversible and even replacing someone's banished memories with ones similar often came with negative side effects. It was something you'd taken into consideration before acting on emotion; ultimately having decided that you would figure it out later.

You were regretting that decision now, as it seemed like "later" was quickly approaching.

"I've been trying to make a memory restoration potion, but you know how terrible I am at cooking. I wasn't bred to be a housewife, Draco, I'm sorry." You said, attempting to lighten your own mood.

Draco smiled down at you and stroked your cheek, which helped to fill the void at least a little bit. "My love, I'm not dating you for your cooking skills. Women like you have people and beings that perform their domestic chores for them," he kissed from your chin to your sternum, trailing his lips down the center of your body, "now, let me worry about keeping you happy, alright? Don't worry your pretty head about the next few days. I'll figure something out."