Fever Dream

Through the darkness, Draco saw a teary eyed, pouty lipped little boy standing just inches away, hair still tousled from having just been shuttered awake by a nightmare. He'd been stirred out of his own dreamless slumber by the soft, pitiful whimpering of Finch, the little boy that seemingly adored him already.

"Where's your parents?" Draco asked, voice scratchy as he rubbed the sleep from his face.

Finch simply sniffled again and lifted his arms high, begging to be coddled.

"No, where are your parents? Your mummy and daddy?" He asked again and a fat tear slid down the little boy's face. "Fine," Draco sighed.

He reached down and pulled Finch into bed, placing him in the center just between his body and yours — or at least, what would have been his body and yours, if you were actually there.

It was almost three o'clock in the morning and you'd woken up not fifteen minutes earlier, stumbling out of bed for a glass of water downstairs. As you made the slow, dark journey down the hallway, you passed by your father's study; the door slightly ajar and illuminated around the frame, giving you just enough space to see your dad pacing the room. A short whiskey glass sat clenched in his fist, filled up with both spirits and ice as he contemplated whatever it was that was troubling him.

That's where you sat now. The water you'd seeked out had been sacrificed for whiskey and the chance to finally feel close to your father. You rested on the couch just in front of the fireplace, deep crimson surrounded you entirely as he'd had all of his books bound in that color. Your knees were drawn up to your chest as you stared at the dancing flames.

"The Malfoys—" your father began half-drunkenly, "they're good people, dear. It would be in your best interest to keep their son happy."

"Don't you mean it would be in your best interest?" you chuckled.

"Don't start, y/n," he snapped back.

Immediately, you locked your lips tight, feeling foolish for believing you could cut up with him even for a split second. The two of you sat in silence for some time, and the discontent inside of you grew. You didn't hate your father like you might have a few months prior, but you realized during that deafening silence that you didn't quite love him, either... like Draco had said, you tolerated him, and even that was out of simple obligation.

"I've been thinking... about last summer. It's all a bit hazy to me, but I know it was your mother and I that drove you to study abroad this school year. Our incessant bickering, I know that it takes a toll on you and Alexandria. Don't think that I'm ignorant to the stress we've caused the two of you."

"Why do it then?" you asked, knowing he was bound to go on a monologue if you didn't slip in your long awaited questions quickly, "Is it really that hard for the two of you to just be civil? For our sake?"

Your father took another heavy gulp from his glass, the ice clinking together as it emptied into his mouth. "Everytime I see that damn woman... it's like the day we separated all over again."

His eyes seemed to be in a far off place as he stared past you, reliving his younger years in his own mind. You didn't know a single thing about your parents' relationship before the divorce, neither of them would talk about it and everyone surrounding them seemed to think that doing so was an act against God himself.

"I loved your mother, Y/N," he said abruptly, eyes snapping toward you and then immediately away, as if seeing her features mixed with his own was too difficult a burden to bear, "I loved her fiercely. From the moment we met, the sun rose and set for her and her alone. At least, that's how I saw it... I gave her everything her heart desired on a silver platter. What wouldn't have been enough for some women was far too much for her — she didn't want diamonds or summer homes or lavish vacations. No, she only wanted me... I was enough."