You were human, therefore you were selfish

You ran frantically around your dorm searching for things to toss into your suitcase. Whatever you wore for the next twenty-four hours had to be perfect, lest you'd be subject to your father's constant polarizing criticism. Anything too sloppy and he'd ask why you were dressing like a no-maj, anything too proper and he'd accuse you of being spoiled rotten. Aside from that, you had to pack for the Malfoy's as well. Draco had gotten dressed for a visit home in front of you before, he always put on his nicest suit with shined shoes just for a day trip. Anything less than flawless was unacceptable.

"I'm sick of seeing you wear those raggedy old boots. You come from a good family, y/n, take pride in your lineage and stop dressing like a poor no-maj."

The memory echoed in your ear, bouncing off the walls of your mind until you shook your head like an Etch-a-Sketch, washing the thought away with the determination to have a nice family holiday.

Your roommates had already left for home. Alex received the memory restorative yesterday via owl and the two of you had spoken last night about your plans. It was midday now and you still felt completely unprepared, all of the anxieties you thought you'd left behind months ago rushing back under your skin and causing you to panic momentarily.

Draco placed his hand gently on your shoulder, stilling your frantic movements. You hadn't even heard him enter the room over your own loud, persistent thoughts about what to remember and what to forget.

"Calm down, love. It's just your dad. I'm sure he's going to be thrilled to see you again," he said slowly.

You turned in his grip and looked up. The nervousness inside of you caused you to look almost fearful, childlike. "What if he remembers that I obliviated him?" You asked, "what if he's in one of his moods and starts in on me the moment we walk through the door?"

Draco held your face in his hands, smoothing out your worry lines with his thumbs, "Then we'll walk right back out. The moment he makes you uncomfortable, poppet, just say the word. I'll take you wherever you want — anywhere in the world, promise."

He leaned down to kiss your forehead and then helped you finish packing. You'd only be visiting your father for a single day, as that was all the memory restorative allowed, but you'd be staying at Malfoy Manor until just after Christmas. From there, you'd visit your mother for another day. Sometime in between all of that traveling and Christmas shopping and the heartbreak of obliviating your family once again, you had to find a way to gently break it to Draco that you, in fact, weren't a pure blood.

Second only to the nervousness of seeing your father again was the fear of meeting the Malfoys. Draco's father seemed just as pretentious as your own, and you didn't know what to expect of his mother. Given the fact that he was an only child, you anticipated never being good enough for her perfect son.

Draco dressed in his nicest black suit paired with a black shirt underneath, taking note of your mention of your dad's affinity for first impressions. You matched him in a pair of black pants, black boots, and a black faux turtleneck. The two of you looked more like you were attending a funeral rather than a family gathering.

Like your roommates, the other students at Hogwarts were already home for the holidays. They'd mostly all left early that morning and were likely settling in just as the two of you stood alone in the corridor reserved solely for floo travel. Your suitcases sat at your feet as you stared into one of the many fire places as if it were the gates of Hell.

"Whenever you're ready," Draco said quietly.

You glanced down to make sure you hadn't slipped on your "raggedy old boots" by mistake, something that your father would notice and hone in on immediately, then looked back up into Draco's sparkling, ever supportive eyes.