Chapter 1

Molly's POV ***

"Beauty queen of only eighteen......."

Today was the last day of Summer. The 28th of August. My birthday. I sighed as I hit the snooze button for the third time, avoiding getting out of bed to go to work. I immediately fell back asleep for a couple minutes, but not long before Maroon 5's "She Will Be Loved" awoke me once again.

I sighed as I hit the pause button on my iHome, and got up and sat on my comfy queen sized bed. I gathered my long, jet black hair that was in a tangle mess and started my normal push ups routine.

Most people think I'm crazy for working out everyday. I guess you could call me a health freak, but its something that reminds me of my dad and what he used to do every day, while training to become a Chicago cop. I'm not saying I wanna become one, but I don't know it's just hard to explain. It just makes me feel closer to him somehow. Like he's actually here, with me.

After doing push-ups and sit-ups for one minute each, I got up from the floor and dug through my closet for a pair of running shorts and t-shirt. I found a pair of green shorts, that Grandma got me a few weeks ago, plus a old middle school basketball tee with FITZPATRICK on the back, with bold letters.

Somehow I managed to get my hair straightened out, into a long ponytail on the right side of my head, with a thick headband. Then, I pulled my shoes from under my bed, that were in a old Nike shoebox.

After washing my face and brushing my teeth, I put a dab of deodorant on and a whiff of Taylor Swift perfume. Now I was ready.

I ran down the stairs with the sun already shining in my face, and the warm summer air filling my lungs. God would I miss this.

"We'll aren't you up late?" My grandma said, appearing in the kitchen while making pancakes. It was late for me, usually I don't hit the snooze button and wake up at seven, not seven thirty.

I shrugged. " Jocelyn and I went to the movies. We didn't get home till eleven."

She smiled. "I see. You do remember that you have school tomorrow don't you? Couldn't you sleep in for at least one day?"

I laughed. "Gotta get ready for the Woodland Conference meet. Its coming up in a couple weeks."

Grandma sighed. " You are not a typical teenager, Molly Elizabeth Fitzpatrick. Or should I say adult....."

I laughed. " I know."

She smiled. "Happy Birthday. Made you your favorite chocolate chip pancakes....."

"Mmmm thanks Grandma! " I said, grabbing a plate full.

I grabbed a couple pancakes from the plate and quickly chugged them down with a glass of orange juice.

" I'll be back grandma! " I called out, walking out the door

Grandma nodded. " Do you have your phone?"

I stopped. "Be right back!"

I quickly ran up stairs to find my phone, which was still in my jeans pocket from last nights movie with bestie Jocelyn, when my phone beeped. A text message.

I'm not one of those teenagers who has sixty some contacts on my phone. Just me, Grandma, my four besties, my brother Ben, and some of my softball friends. Still, I was happy to see it was from bestie Matt.

I see u.....;)

I started texting.

Stalker!! What made u get so early hmmm?