4

Contrary to popular belief, cheerleading isn't all smiles and pom-poms and all fluff and pretty outfits. Arden's sport is gymnastics without the safety precautions—no mats, no nets, no room for error. Topple from that pyramid and she's going to get her little face smashed in.

"Lock your knees!" Faye, captain, yells from the ground with her hands on her hips, and Arden stands straighter with her leg outstretched to a bow and arrow. Her bases' hands holding her foot are now wobbling from a minute of bearing her weight on their wrists and arms.

Ellie, also a flyer and in the same position as Arden, turns her head towards her with a smile, sweat drenching her face. "Is it true? Sandejas and you?" she asks breathlessly, swallowing hard.

Ah. Arden almost expected this. Lila screeched with her last night after that fucking kiss (...wow), but her guy friends haven't brought it up yet. They're itching to ask, though, and they just don't know how. Arden enjoys watching them squirm and hit each other, pointing at who's supposed to ask.

No one has yet. Ellie's the first.

Arden manages a smile despite the protest of her muscles. Her thigh was starting to hurt and the one leg on the bases' hands is straining against the heaviness of her whole body. "What do you think?"

"Think it's all delusional and fake. Just rumors," Ellie answers with a sweet laugh.

Mm. Of course she does. Kol, the untouchable, making the moves on her? How scandalous.

Arden doesn't bother answering, and Faye's voice resonates across the gym when she says, "Full-twist cradle for the dismount, then get your asses in the shower! Great job, guys!"

She hears the sighs of relief from her bases before lifting her back in the air for a 360-degree spin, landing her safely in their arms. Arden is set to her feet as Travis, her back spot, uses the sleeve of his uniform to wipe the sweat off his forehead. He smiles at her. "You're not skipping out on Remy's again, are you?"

Arden grins, catching her breath. Remy's, the board game cafe across campus is a Croyden favorite, and the squad offers Tuesdays to its cheesy beef fries and s'mores milkshakes. Last week, Arden skipped because of homework, but fuck if it doesn't sound like heaven now. "Wouldn't miss it."

She's heading to the shower after taking off her shoes and massaging her toes when her phone buzzes.

Unknown: what the fuck are you doing and why am i not kissing the shit out of you yet

Arden grins, feeling her heart race. God, Kol is so cute. She types her reply, leaning against her locker. im taking a shower after cheer :)

His answer is instant. fuck you

She laughs. He's probably annoyed she gave him a mental image. Arden bites her lip, fingers hovering over the keypad—

Arden catches the eyes of her fellow cheerleaders before they scurry away.

She rolls her own. Rumors?

pick me up at the gym

Kol says, im not your fucking dog

fine then, Arden replies. forget about seeing me today

Kol reads that and Arden grins before tossing her phone in her bag and heading inside the cubicle.

She's drying her hair when she hears commotion outside and his name in hushed whispers.

Arden grins, feeling her chest grow warm. He came.

She puts her towel in her bag and slings it over her shoulder before she steps outside. Kol is standing there looking angry.