Chp 2: It's Complicated

In August 2007, on the week of my birthday I received the news which changed my life instantly. I haven't come to terms with the news as well as finding the right time to tell my family. I finally had the courage to tell my mom about the situation, and her reaction was not what I expected. She took the news as if I was telling a joke, or there was a mix up.  My mom is a strong woman always telling me I'm a fighter, and I will get through it. I was officially diagnosed with end stage renal disease also known as ESRD caused by glomerulonephritis. A group of diseases that injure the part of the kidney that filters blood called glomeruli (Merriam-Webster).

A brief explanation of end stage renal disease is the final stage of kidney failure resulting from diabetes, chronic hypertension, or glomerulonephritis that is marked by the complete or nearly complete irreversible loss of renal function (Merriam-Webster). The kidneys are functioning at a minimal rate around 15% needing treatment options such as dialysis, or a transplant to survive.

According to my medical records from my former doctor my kidney function declined since 2005. I wasn't aware that my health was in jeopardy at such a fast rate. If I had known of the situation I could've been able to prevent the disease from taking a toll on me.The more I find out about my condition the more I questioned it. I considered getting a second opinion, but the test results were accurate. I finally started to realize that this was the truth. I needed to accept it to move forward on getting treatment.

I spoke to a nephrologist to start preparing me for treatment options. I was nervous not knowing what to expect wondering how much of an effect will this treatment have on my life. I've started to research different types of dialysis options figuring out the best treatment. There are several types of dialysis, but the main two are hemodialysis, and peritoneal dialysis. Hemodialysis is a the process of removing blood from an artery as of a kidney patient, purifying it by dialysis, adding vital substances, and returning it to a vein (Merriam-Webster).

Peritoneal dialysis is a procedure performed in the peritoneal cavity in which the peritoneum acts as the semipermeable membrane to remove wastes, or toxins from the blood, and adjust fluid and electrolyte imbalances (Merriam-Webster). Circulated fluid go through a catheter in the abdomen, and flushed out every night while the patient sleeps with automatic peritoneal dialysis known as APD.

Another method of peritoneal dialysis is through regular manual exchanges throughout the day known as continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis, or CAPD. The two types have advantages and disadvantages. For example: hemodialysis patients get treated at a dialysis clinic, or at a home clinic for three to five-hour treatments three times a week. The patient's preference is morning, afternoon, and night to cleanse blood that excrete waste from the kidneys. The schedule for hemodialysis are a day on day off approach such as a Monday-Wednesday-Friday, or vice versa with a day to rest before the next treatment.

Peritoneal dialysis patients have more control of their treatments since the exchanges is three to five times every day. Based on the doctor's prescription, four to six-hour dwell times are used to excrete the waste from the abdomen to be drained into a drain bag. I researched enough information to have a better idea on what treatment I wanted to pursue.

   The nephrologist checked my vital signs as well as analyzed my lab results. He discussed treatment options encouraging me to start a low sodium diet, and exercise to help keep my blood pressure regulated. I told him how busy my schedule was, and asked him what would be the best option for me. He suggested I look into peritoneal dialysis since I would be able to have more control on when, and how I would do my exchanges around my lifestyle.

   Also, I would have more control over my condition through training, and self-motivation. He explained to me that I still have 20 to 22% kidney function left, and suggested ways to keep my creatinine level stable. He asked if I had any family, or friends who are willing to test as a donor to see if they're a compatible match. He stated that with an active donor I would have a better chance of getting treated right away. This would be a better choice compared to being on the transplant list known as UNOS, or United Network for Organ Sharing.

   If I were to go on the list for a transplant the average timeframe would be three to five years before I receive a call. This time can be crucial especially when the time is ticking some patients die waiting on the list. I told him I wouldn't feel right to ask someone to give their kidney to give me a second chance. As I left the office, I began to realize how I'm going to live for the rest of my life. I remember being in the car looking at my mom telling her that I'm sorry. My mom being the strong woman she is broke down crying. I told her that we will get through this tough time, and I will fight to survive it. I never saw my mom break down in front of me. I looked up to her all my life, and she always had her game face on providing for me. My mom being a single parent during the toughest times raising two children would never show signs of weakness.

   I started to speak to different family members about my situation asking if anyone wanted to help. I talked to my dad about the news explaining to him about treatment options the nephrologist suggested. He told me that one of his childhood friends was on hemodialysis for several years, and had to go to a clinic every other day. He told me it was a hard process mentally, and physically for his friend as it took a lot of energy from him. I knew I had a long road ahead of me, but I was willing to take on what comes with the territory.

   I told a couple of my close friends, and they were shocked to hear about my condition. My friends questioned how this would happen to me of all people. I wasn't really a drinker, or smoker, and I was physically active. I rarely was in the house I was either playing basketball with my friends, or moving around the city. I wasn't expecting anyone to step up to give a kidney it seemed too much to ask for. I told my girlfriend about my health issues, but she didn't believe it at first. We began to slowly grow apart eventually breaking up.

   I started working on my new diet the doctor suggested, but it was hard to do. I would check the nutritional facts of everything I ate. Sodium being a major cause pushed my limits since I ate chips, frozen dinners, crackers, and fast food. I started to eat more fruits, vegetables, and home cooked meals that I had control of the sodium intake. I would work out at the gym lifting weights, and use the stationary bike. The first three months I went down from 206 to 190 pounds.

   I started noticing how much of a difference in taste I had in my normal food choices. I ate some slices of pizza noticing how salty it was never remembering pizza being that way. I often saw my nephrologist every two to three months to check my creatinine levels through blood, and urine samples. My levels were staying constant ranging from 20% to 27% kidney function. My mom wanted to get tested to see if she was healthy enough to be a donor. Her test resulted in her having high blood pressure finding out that she has type two diabetes.

   My Aunt Dianne told my mom that she would get tested to see if she is compatible. The test results showed she had high sugar levels, and to donate she would have to bring her levels down. I appreciated the fact that my mom and aunt were in my corner wanting to help me. Devastated, I continued to keep a positive outlook on receiving a kidney soon. It seemed like ever since I found out about my kidney failure all I ever see, or hear on TV is stories of people receiving a transplant. Time began moving slowly as I transitioned into a different mind state of how to manage the stress being closely monitored. I followed the doctor's order to keep my remaining kidney function.