Final Thoughts

I started writing this book around March 2012 a couple months before my surgery. The man upstairs has his ways of showing you not to give up because you may be closer to receiving a gift than you might think. My reflection on life changed during the seven years dealing with kidney disease. I felt that I was on death's doorstep at times while going through difficulties with dialysis. I wanted to give up so bad because I felt like I became a burden on my family not realizing that I may have inspired a few that I chose to stay alive. We have chances to make the necessary changes in our lives only if we choose to do so.

We only have so much control over stuff that may be meant to happen. It's a trip how your family history determines what you're up against with health conditions. It's like doing all I can to prevent any health issues from happening, but sometimes it's just in the cards. Once you're in that place you either deal with it, or let it take over.

I urge people who are healthy enough to become a donor either volunteering, or donate your organs when you're deceased. I received my kidney from a donor who passed away in order for me, and a few others to live. I was not given any major information about him other than he was close to my age. I'm very grateful for it, but at the same time his family lost a good man. I wrote a letter to the family expressing my condolences for their lost, and told them a little bit about my life.

Several months later, I received a letter from his mother which was written in Spanish, but was translated to English for me to read. My donor's name was Francisco and he was 28 years old. He loved the color orange, loved playing basketball, and loved spending time with his family. The crazy part before me knowing his name, my wife started calling my kidney "Frank" for some reason. Frank being short for Francisco was a coincidence and learning that we have the same interests was crazy.

I heard about other transplant patients naming their kidney, and celebrating every year as a birthday. My last thought about life is to take advantage of it each day. Life isn't easy, but the journey throughout the years is fulfilling to those who choose to live in the moment. Cherish those who are there for you through thick and thin. Be the best until the end of your time enjoying every minute of it.