Fall of 2004

Kara's POV

I woke up to light and calming breeze of the wind, to the sounds of birds chirping. I've been in love with birds ever since I came down here from my planet, sure it reminds me of what I had lost back on Krypton, but It also made me realize what I've discovered because of it. As I slowly flutter my eyes open, I realize out the window that the sky was so blue, grass was green tinted with a bit of orange, it looked and felt warm and oh so right. I sigh upon remembering that today was the day I needed to pack and move out to one of the dorm rooms in the University of Metropolis. I love Smallville, don't get me wrong, but, I just wanted to experience something new, something more adventurous.

I then look down on to my bedsheets to roll over and, "Oh my Rao, I'm floating!" I yelled on the top of my lungs with a feeling of panic and fear.

Then soon turned to a sense of calmness and freedom. A smile crept up onto my face, I feel as if there were chains holding me down that finally had been broken and had let me loose. This moment of tranquility was suddenly cut short and I fell down to my bed at the sound of Martha, my foster mother, yelling.

"Honey, Kara, get up, you need to get ready, you're gonna be late!"

"The opening doesn't even start for another 3 hours, and you know I could just speed over there!" I replied rubbing my eyes and rolling over the bed to get to the bathroom.

"Yes, but I want to see my baby girl move out and live a life on her own, after that maybe even settle down with a man." Martha said whilst opening the door to my room.

"Sounds like you're kicking me out of the house." I responded walking to the doorframe, smirking and putting both my hands onto each sides of my hip.

My foster mother chuckled and replied with, "Of course not dear, I'm just so excited that you'll be on your own without being under my supervision, all though, never go out in the dark alone, just try to make friends and please, please stay safe." with a hint of worry and concern at the end.

"Always will, ma." I replied again with a smile.

Barry's POV

"Is that the last of it?" It was Sunday morning and I was at one of the University of Metropolis' dorms, my dorm room to be more specific.

"Yep, honestly Barr, I don't even know why you keep all of this stuff." Joe said.

Ever since my mom had been murdered by that... thing he took me in as his foster son and since then, I've always viewed him as the closest thing to a father figure after my dad had been wrongfully sentenced to prison, well Joe's the lead detective that led the case, so no doubt in hell would he ever believe me.

"It reminds me of them." I put it simply.

"You gotta put that behind you, Barry." My foster sister, Iris, butted in.

"You should know that I can't do that, It's pretty much the most of what keeps me going." I responded with a slight joyless chuckle. I then realized that the door was open and I went ahead to close it.

Then, that was when I saw her. Golden blonde hair put up in a ponytail, Ocean blue eyes covered in black-rimmed glasses, a light and fair complexion, a smile plastered onto her face that could light up an entire house, she looked amazing and so... alive.

"-arr, Barry, Bartholomew!" Joe yelled, interrupting my moment of being in awe.

"Wha- huh?" I responded sheepishly.

"Did you even listen to what I was saying?"

"Something about... dorms?" I cringed to myself, slapping my face internally in the process.

"What were you even looking a- oh." He stops asking right after he saw aforementioned woman.

Joe then turns to me, smirking, "First day and already having those eyes on someone." He chuckled.

"None of your business, Joe." I rolled my eyes and growled in a low tone but with a hard red blush on my cheeks.

He smirks and puts one brow upwards in amusement as he walks out the room, lightly tapping the woman on her shoulders, "Excuse me, my son over there is really, and I mean really interested in meeting you."

"Oh, boy."