Part 9

Sparrows 9

As much as he tried to keep his mind on the Bishop's commission, all Robert could think about was that bloody woman and her runt child. They were assuredly costing time he could ill afford, putting the Bishops plans in danger of discovery. Added to which he was about to cause assault on a house of God. No matter it was in reality a brothel, as like as not he would be excommunicated for this particular crime.

Lord, but he was a fool.

Blount grinned and winked at Piers as they turned back along the trail. "I knew 'ed relent. An' 'ard bastard 'e may well be, but a good man none the less.

###

It was getting dark as they cantered toward the Abbey gate house "Get the waggon behind the trees and be ready for us." Sir Robert said in a low voice to Brother Jocelyn. "Brother William and I will pay the abbess a visit. But as a precaution...Piers, I want you in their stable. Loose any mounts you find there into the yard. That should make for some nice confusion. Blount, you stand ready in the cloister, if the holy drab is unhelpful we'll have to search. But we are to be out as swiftly as possible. Then we put a deal of road betwixt that place and us." The possibility of armed men being present and alert needed them all on their guard. Dismounting, Sir Robert muttered testily, "The Bishop will have my hide for this if it goes awry."

"'Tis the right thing to do. The Bishop is a good man, he'll see the truth of it," Blount replied staunchly

"Oh, but he'll find ways to make me pay," The knight retorted. He was angry, a state he was accustomed to. Much of the last five years he had tottered on the edge of fury; the death of his father-in-law had hurtled him into a pit of recrimination and despair. And now that he was but a whisper from regaining his place in the kings good graces, his master chose to change sides, support the Empress instead of his brother. And to cap it all he, Robert de Renouf, was playing at knight errant to rescue a worthless, sullen trollope. Oh, he could imagine Marceline's delight at that, aye and the bawdy jokes her lover de Warren would bandy about at court. Like as not the king himself would find the story amusing: The wretched murderer and cuckold husband now turned rescuer of whores and beggared guttersnipes.

Slamming the flat of his gloved hand against the oaken door, the knight shouted, "Open up, Brother William is returned to see the abbess."

The Judas hole creaked and the wizened face of the gatekeeper appeared. "Go away, she ain't receivin'."

"Good man, open the door, I will see Mother Abbess punish you else!" Friar William shrugged at the querying look Sir Robert gave him. It was but a small lie, and for a good cause.

A stream of mumbled, disgruntled sounds issued from inside. The groan of complaining hinges announced the opening of the heavy door.

"Oi! How many of you are there?" The old man stood back, put out as Blount shouldered passed him, and Piers sprinted towards the stables.

"Just enough, old fella, just enough." Blount turned and clapped him on the back, shoving him toward Brother William.

"Lead on then man, we've business to attend to," Sir Robert snapped.

The impious comfort of the abbess's parlour did not surprise Robert, he knew what the place was, had seen much finer on his travels in the east. But in the end a whorehouse was a whorehouse, be there silken beds or pallets of fouled straw. Delights, however fleeting, needed always to be paid for, and in his experience those that pedalled flesh lied and were honest in equal measure. But bawdy houses hid more troubles than thieving and watered wine. Spies and rebels, and cut throats made their beds and hid such places. Secrets masked more secrets.

And he did this for no more reason than the sad look in a woman's eyes?Aye, he deserved the Bishop's derision.

Sparing the abbess no politeness, no pretended deference, Sir Robert announced baldly, "I want the boy and the woman back."

Brother William had hoped to negotiate quietly, slip stealthily away into the night, but it was not to be.

The abbess had lost her former poise, the authoritative churchwoman was gone. She was all fluttering hands and stuttering disbelief. "What do you mean...what woman...what child?" Before she could say more, a muffled voice came from behind a richly coloured tapestry on the wall, quickly followed by the unmistakable sounds of heated male pleasure.

The three stood transfixed. Brother William looked puzzled, the abbess horrified, Sir Robert glacial. When the noises took the tone of violence being done, the knight drew his sword, pulled back the drapery, and without pause, kicked open the hidden door.

He expected to see the woman lying bleeding on the floor. Instead the peasant woman stood, naked and clutching a silver ewer to her chest, holding it as if her very life depended on it. At her feet, the unmoving body of a half dressed man.

Haddie stared wide eyed at Sir Robert. "I...have killed him?"

"Nay," he snarled. "I think not." His eyes were drawn back to her. That cursed hair, all midnight wild, falling about her, withholding pale skin from him. It was only the frantic agitation of the abbess at his back that forced reality on him. Aiming a healthy kick at the body on the floor, he was rewarded with a deep groan.

"Dries!" The Abbess pushed into the room and dropped to her knees. "My sweeting, what have they done to you?"

Sir Robert moved quickly, he freed the ewer from Haddie's grasp, tossing it aside. Then, without acknowledging her nakedness, hooked the coverlet from the bed and wrapped it about her. "Come girl, he'll not be a happy man when he wakes." The words were brisk, but not ungentle.

Haddie looked down at the fabric now covering her, confusion obvious. "But..."

"We must be away girl, come." Sir Robert put his arm about her to lead her away, but Haddie sidestepped him, pushing away.

"No, he is not dead!" Disappointment clear in her voice. "He must die, he must pay!" She lunged back, dropping her cover, kicking and flailing wildly at Le Pierre's torso. "You murdered my precious Rabbit! You are the Devil, the most evil...!"

Grabbing her by the waist hauling her up to his chest, Robert grunted in annoyance. "Come away, NOW! You want to hang for a rabbit?"

"You...you are no better than he. You are naught but heathen beasts!" she spat, fighting him. He tried clamping her arm to her sides, but she twisted and slapped at him, bit at his shoulder, but only caught at the leather of his jerkin, angering her more.

With Brother William's aid, Robert managed to wrap her tightly, slinging her, with little care, over his shoulder. Her fierce writhing earned her a hefty, stinging swipe at her behind. It quieted her enough for Robert to pass quickly out of the building and across the courtyard. Reaching the gatehouse they heard the skittering and whinnying of the loosened horses. Blount and Piers came into sight, Tom between them, his pale face drawn and fearful.

Seeing him Haddie pounded once more on Roberts back. "Let me down oaf, you're hurting me, let me down I say!"

"Not until we reach the waggon." He grunted, tightening his grip. "We don't want you tripping on your 'gown' do we?" He heft her higher on his shoulder, ignoring her further complaints.

Making it through the gatehouse, they were greeted by Brother Jocelyn. Haddie found herself dumped hastily to the bed of the wain, Tom jumped up beside her, throwing himself into her arms.

"Haddie, they were going to eat me! I know they were!"

"Hush my love, we'll be safe soon." She looked up to see Sir Robert mounted and setting off at speed. Resentment seethed in her, and she had no idea why.

"Ho!" Brother Jocelyn called to the horses. The wooden boards creaked as the waggon heaved off at a rate it was most surely unsuited for.

Are we safe? Can we ever be out of evils path? I fear for Tom, fear that I will lead him to harm. I want Le Pierre dead. Those thoughts alone will bring Tom no good. Mother Mary please have pity, cure me of my anger, I beg you. I want to beat the smug Lordling with a stick, and he saved us! Have I lost all womanliness, all goodness? What am I to want such a thing?