Part 16

How tired I am of men and the sins they use to bind us.

Thoughts of the foul and filthy fill me with dread, leave me in mortal fear for Tom. How easy it would have been for those monstrous beasts to use him ill, foul his child's body with their cruel abominations?

While I cannot deny the lording's bargain would see Tom safe and fed, educated too, must I bind myself to yet the wants of another man to gain that end?

But I am not myself full of wantonness? I durst not close my eyes, but that I feel his body hot on mine, and oh I ache for more.

Alas I am a poorly gotten creature.

###

They were fallen into easy custom now.

At dawn all arose, prepared for the next stage of their journey. Brother William blessed the day, gave thanks for their bread, broke their fast and were once more upon the road.

When the Sun was at its highest the small band halted to rest and water the beasts. Haddie saw to the preparing a meal of bread and cheese, filling cups of small beer. When fed and dusted down they continued the journey south till dusk.

When the Sun fell they would make camp at a suitably secluded spot well off the road. Tom set to gathering firewood, the brothers found and fetched water, Haddie readied the food. Sir Robert and Sergeant Blount busied themselves rubbing down and feeding the horses. All took their part, habits born of lives diverse, but so similar in frame and necessity.

Once all had eaten, bowls and cups scoured ready for the morn, bed rolls were laid about the fire and the men would take turns on watch. Brigands of all sorts roamed the forests unchecked, it was not only St Pierre and his troop that harried honest travellers. Disorder ruled the land for king or Empress, made no matter. Men with the mind to rob, abuse or kill had travellers at their mercy.

The peace of England was laid waste once more, while cousins fought to claim its crown.

###

Haddie's sleep was uneasy, but Sir Robert was not the cause. In the rush of their escape from Crumleigh, the wonder of Beckford's market, the frolicking with the company of jongleurs at the knightly wedding, then her night with the not-so-sullen lordling, she had not dwelled on the full meaning of the paint on Tom's face, nor his words. But now, as they travelled in relative safety and calm, the hideous mask of paint she had scrubbed from his young face looked back at her from the shadows, lurked half seen, causing her to shudder at a meaning not quite understood.

Tom was her world, his care, his very life was her only true concern. Though not her blood, he was as near her child as could be, and there was nothing she would not do to see him clear of harm. He grew stronger every day, now food came regular. Sir Robert's offer meant a home for them, an education for Tom, great things could be his future, a life that would see him secure, mayhap even prosperous! He might rise to be a reeve, or even a steward to some great house? He was a bright lad, all said so.

All she had to do was be drudge and leman to a high-handed, curmudgeonly knight. Not such a high price when all was said and done. But first she would speak with Brother William, learn the truth of the Devils wickedness that could have been Tom's fate. With that she could equip herself, prepare them both to know such iniquities if they were presented again.

###

"Heaven's child! Do you think the Devil concerns himself with such petty iniquities?" Brother William seemed amazed she had even asked him such a foolish question.

"But..." she got no further.

"These are mere perversities of nature, the brutish oafs who wallow in such vileness are naught but malformed minds. Not demons, just loathsome men whose souls were long since lost to our Lord." His disgust was obvious, but still dismissive.