Part 8

• Dedicated to Nellie and Kev

Part 8

Regina, mater misericordiae:

Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra, salve.

Ad te clamamus, exsules, filii hevae.

Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes

in hac lacrimarum valle.

Eia ergo, Advocata nostra,

illos tuos misericordes oculos

ad nos converte.

Et Iesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui,

nobis, post hoc exsilium ostende.

O clemens: O pia: O dulcis

Virgo Maria.

Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of mercy,

life, our sweetness, and our hope, hail.

To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve;

To you we sigh, mourning and weeping

In this valley of tears.

Hurray, therefore, our advocate, turn those, your

eyes of mercy toward us;

And Jesus, the blessed fruit of thy womb,

after this our exile.

O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

     All I can do is pray.

###

     Dries le Pierre stood over her, watching in amusement as Haddie's lips moved in soft prayer.

     Curling a strand of her hair about his finger and murmured softly, "Oh, but of course you are no whore," pulling the strand tighter. "Just a sweet, innocent, convent bred songbird." His tone had changed, now it was the refined tongue of the Norman overlords he used. "But I'll warrant you have tasted much a man has to offer." Pulling her bound wrist sharply upwards, he further uncovered her shame. "And given your share of satisfaction I'll wager." Pleased with what was revealed, he jerked her arms above her head with spiteful force.

     Haddie's only response was a tightening of her jaw.

     This creature had no notion he had killed her babe, or even her husband. How many helpless folk had he slain, how many homes burned at his order? Certainly such deeds were no strangers to him. The slaughter of her family was nothing more than a day of vigorous hunting, a thing of no account. Her child and husband were worthless.

     No, Haddie thought, he would not recall their butchery.

     A stinging slap caught her breast, she flinched, her mouth opened but no sound came. He let her arms fall back, he stepped away with a bored look. "No, this will not do." Turning away he drew a well cushioned chair into position opposite the bed. Making himself comfortable, long legs set wide, he spoke in perfect, but throaty English. "Now, up on your knees."

     Haddie did not move.

     "I said, on-your-fucking-knees..." A threat clear in every word.

     The knowledge that he could do what he wanted with her did her no good, there was no protection in it, no way to fight him, no way to evade his intentions.