Part 10

The road is so very broken and rutted, but still Brother William drives the horses hard, we are thrown about like pebbles in a cup. The forest about us is all shadows and blackness, precious little of the moonlight breaks through; I do not know how he sees the way.

Tom, bless him is such a brave boy, he tells me I need not be afraid, we have friends now. Some I think, and we are out of that place and I am thankful of it. My only regret is the lordling did not let me take the worthless life of the murderer, Le Pierre.

Yet I feel such shame, the marks of that beast are all about me, I stink of his sin. I know the knight could see, smell it. Why did it have to be he that freed me?

Holy Mother, I am even yet without clothes!

When I hugged Tom to me I found his cheeks smeared with chalk, his lips painted red. I wiped him free of it as he told me a man wanted to eat him. I shudder at the thought of their intent for him. He is but a child, how much more evil can there be in the world?

###

"Men come...eight I think. Fully armed...but no armour!" Piers hurtled breathless from the depth of the surrounding forest, his beast foaming.

"Damn it, I didn't think they'd gather themselves so speedily." Sir Robert turned his horse. "How far?"

"A league, maybe, riding fast, though their leader sways oddly in the saddle." The boy added, his tone puzzled.

"Ha, so he himself comes to avenge his precious honour." The knight said with a humourless chuckle. He knew well they could not out fight or out run their pursuers, the only option was to deceive them. "Blount, Brother William get the wain into the ditch. Brother Jocelyn and Piers go gather whatever branches and such you can find." He looked down at Haddie and Tom. "You boy, make yourself useful, go with them." To Haddie he merely tossed an offhand, "And you stay where you are woman."

Dismounting, he stroked the neck of his mount and whispered a soothing 'steady' as the horse whinnied in apprehension. "Brother William, tether the beasts well away from the road," His eyes met Haddie's, the sneer in his voice obvious. "We don't want the stray scent of any heated mare giving us away."

Sudden and unbidden, wanton, scorching thoughts invaded Haddie's mind, but he turned dismissively from her. She recoiled, ducked her head beneath the coverlet and hid her mortification.

Blount and Sir Robert together heaved the cumbersome vehicle off the road. The thick barrier of haws and holly tore at them, the men's grunted curses rung in the air. The ditch was steep, but the dry summer had left it relatively easy to negotiate.

"Is this enough?" Brother Jocelyn strode towards them pulling what looked like half a tree behind him. Piers and Tom followed with smaller offerings.

"Good." Sir Robert climbed up onto the waggon and began hauling the branches up to complete their concealment.

Haddie tried to keep away from the knight's heavy booted feet, his long legs seemed everywhere. More than once he stood on her covering, and scowling kicked it out of his way.

Blount stood on the road, alternately watching for their pursuers and directing the assembling of an effective disguise.

At last he called low, "'Tis done, I can see nothing from here. Just as well..." He scrambled down the slope towards them. "As they are upon us!"

At once the work ceased, and the company were hid beneath the wain, all except Haddie. She lay still in the leafy, earth smelling, gloom. The thunder of iron upon hard earth struck her heart; she closed her eyes and tried to hold her breath.