Chapter 18: Hero, or Terrorist?

The gun shot left a distinct ringing in my ears, unaccustomed to the lack of silencer on the weapon. With my left hand clasping the pistol, I held both hands over my ears and closed my eyes tight. There were now two bodies lying dead on the floor.

Xyle, and the woman.

I had to act fast, the security cameras would have picked up something was amiss as soon as I picked the lock on the hand cuffs. Pulling out the cartridge of the pistol, I counted nine more bullets. I'd have to use them sparingly.

As if on cue, the door beeped, and clicked open. One security guard barged in, and I swiftly whacked him on the head with the butt of the gun, catching him off guard. Stunned, he toppled backwards, dragging the two guards behind him down onto the floor. I jumped over them, and ran.

I had no clue where I was, where I was going. Once over the guards, I found myself in yet another plain white corridor, that stretch endlessly either way I turned.

I went right.

My feet pounded the cold, white slate tiles and echoed off the walls, bouncing off as an echo. I could hear the guards behind me, they had recovered quickly from my feeble blow and were in pursuit.

Click, bang!

I darted around the nearest corner I could find, the bullet from their gun barely missing me as I flattened myself against the cool surface. I was only a couple paces ahead, they would be on me soon.

I peered around the corner, my hair flailing wildly as I did so. Three in pursuit, two further away, and one right-

Bang!

I darted back around the corner, breath heavy as my heart raced in my chest. I could hear the running footsteps coming closer, closer, echoing loudly as he ran at me. I couldn't see him, but I knew exactly where he was.

As he went to round the corner, I swung my elbow back. Hard. I felt it connect with his nose, felt the crack underneath my skin as the bone broke under the pressure. I didn't know wether to be revolted, or ecstatic that I'd landed the ballsy hit.

The man staggered backwards, reeling from the blow. I took my chance, I reached out and grabbed him by the cuff of his shirt. I barely had a moment to think about how someone in his life had gone through the effort to wash, dry and iron his shirt. Someone who loved him. No, it was a whisper of a thought, right before I shoved the pistol against his chest.

Bang!

The man's body went limp in my grasp, and I grunted under the added weight. He was fucking heavy, but I needed him. I was now out of the relative cover of my corridor, now staring down the two guards. Using dead boy as a meat shield, I made my way into the middle of the corridor.

Bang bang!

I felt each bullet thud on the dead, lifeless body in my hands. Grunting with exertion, I hoisted him up with my left arm, and cocked the gun over his shoulder.

Bang bang bang bang!

I fired wildly, barely able to see over the hunk of a man limply held in front of me. My left arm was aching, the bicep muscle already beginning to cramp up. I couldn't hold much longer.

But I wouldn't have to. The firing had ceased. I dropped the man's body, letting it fall to the ground with a soggy thud. Despite being dead, his body was still bleeding. The red liquid pooling around each bullet wound, staining the perfect pristine white tiles. His perfectly ironed shirt was now crinkled, red blots spreading and consuming the entire material. It's hard to wash blood off. I knew that all too well.

The eery silence was interrupted by a loud alarm, snapping my attention away from the dead man in front of me. The whined through the speakers in the corridor, the noise almost deafening. I had no time to stop, I had to keep going.

But where? As my feet continued to pound the tiles, I couldn't help but feel as if this was pointless. I had no clue where I was in the building, or even what damn building I was in.

Gotta find an exit, I thought to myself as I ran on. Any exit would do, there's gotta be one around here somewhere. My body was exhausted, spurred on purely from adrenaline and fear.

Bang!

I tried to dig my feet into the ground as I rounded to corner to find two guards staring right at me. However, the floor was too polished, and my feet fell out from underneath me. My back hit the ground, knocking the wind from my lungs causing me to gasp for air.

I clambered up, ducking behind the wall as I wheezed for breath. My ears were ringing, and I clawed at my throat willing the air to come back to me. Peering around the corner, I could see the two guards. They were yelling, but I didn't know what they were saying. They were just standing in the middle of the walkway, no way around them. I ducked back around the corner as they opened fire, my chest heaving as I began to breath normally once more.

I had no meat shield, but I had an idea.

Before the guards could reload, I swung around the corner, gun raised. Time slowed, as I looked at the two guards. Two guards blocking my way. There wasn't enough time to kill them both, not with the situation as it was.

I raised the gun, aiming it instead at the LED light above. And shot once. The light panel shattered, glass falling from the ceiling and littering the ground below. The guards lifted their arms to shield their faces, bending forward to protect themselves from the glass rain hailing from above.

And I took my shot.

Bang bang bang bang!

Using both my hands improved my accuracy significantly, and both guards received two bullets to the chest. They both fell, their thuds silenced by the persistent alarm above. I didn't even wait to check if they were dead, I just pushed forward to a destination I was not too sure on.

At the end of the hallway where the dead guards lay, was a door. It seemed like just any regular exit door, with a large metal bar laying horizontally across the white pane. There was even a bright green exit sign, shining dully against the brightness of the LED lights.

This is too easy, I thought to myself, but what other option did I have? With the alarm blaring around me, I placed both of my hands on the metal bar and pushed hard. The door groaned as it gave way, as if it hadn't been opening in decades. I shoved harder, and drove my shoulder against the door. This seemed to do the trick, the door giving way and slowly opening outwards.

Bright vivid light flooded in, and I realised this wasn't just an exit door to the building.

It was the door to outside the dome.

***
Sorry that I'm late! Work has been really busy lately, so I haven't had time to edit while at work.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter, next chapter will be the finale! Stay tuned, will update in two days time ;)