Chapter Twelve

"Cannonballlll!!" I looked up from where I was uprooting a daffodil to see the splash created from Alex's cannonball. I smile and set back to work.

"Those morons are absolutely crazy. Swimming in October." Blake said with a shake of his head and a smile.

"It looks like their having fun though." I said. Alex was swimming and splashing around like madman while Jaime doggie paddled in the shallow end. On the edge of the pool dipping his feet in sat Rowan, smiling at Alex acting like a madman.

"Can't deny that." A new raspy voice said. Shocked I looked up to see Ashton by the main entrance doors.

"Since when have you been here?" I asked with a tilt of my head.

"Long enough." Ashton replied.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I mumbled under my breath. I went back to changing the soil for the daffodils. Lightly humming A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes, while packing the changed soil.

"Do you like singing Oliver?" Blake asks me. I blush and look away.

"Not really." I lie. I look over to Ashton and see him smirking at me. Clearly seeing straight through my lie. I blush once more and look back down. Finishing up the daffodils, I move onto the red roses.

"Careful with those ones Oliver." Ash said while handing me a pair of gardening gloves. "The thorns are sharper than they look." I smile at him gratefully, even though a little scratch doesn't hurt me, and put on the gloves. I continue to work, occasionally listening to Blake and Ash's conversation or watching the boys play in the pool. At one point Ash started helping too and Blake disappeared. I looked over to the pool to see Alex lifting Blake fully clothed over the pool. I watch horrified as Blake was thrown in.

"It's all right Ollie." Ash says as he bumps shoulders with me. "Blake knows how to swim. Alex wouldn't have thrown him in if he didn't." I turn and give Ash a smile.

"How come you aren't swimming?" I ask Ash.

"Too cold for that. Even with the pool being heated. Those suckers still have to dry off before they can go inside to change." Ash snickered. I huff a quiet laugh as I imagine them all complaining at the locked door. Begging to be let inside.

"Maybe we should make them some tea for when they get out?" I ask Ash.

"Sounds like a good idea. I'll help you." Ash said to me. I look up at Ashton and give him a small grin.

"Thanks." Ashton and I worked for two more hours. Uprooted and replanting all the flowers.

"Can I ask why we needed to change the soil Ash?" I timidly asked as we washed our hands off with the hose.

"The soil we planted those guys in is a mix of old soil and nutrient boosted soil. It will give the flowers a kick for when they start to bloom." Ash explained softly in his raspy monotone. I smiled at him while shaking my hands to dry them. I can't stand when my hands are wet. Especially when the water drips up into my sleeves. I start jumping up and down, vigorously waving my hands to try and air dry them. Ash lets out a raspy chuckle and grabs my hands, drying them off with his sweatshirt.

"Thanks." I whisper. Ash nods and drops one of my hands. Keeping the other one in one of his as he leads me back to the house. We pass the pool full of rambunctious boys, me waving as we passed, and entered the kitchen.

"If you start the kettle on the stove I'll get the tea leaves." Ash said. I nod and grab the kettle from where it's sitting beside the stove. I take it to the sink and fill it with water. Then place it on the hot stove to warm up. Seeing the time I realize that it's about lunch time.

"Hey ash?" He hums in reply. "What are we doing for lunch?" I asked. Ash looked up from where he was searching through a cupboard to glance at the time.

"I'll make it so it's ready for when the boys are done swimming."

"Can I please help?" I pleaded. I really wanted to start contributing around here.

"Sure. I'm making turkey club sandwiches with a side a fruit salad." I smiled and headed the fridge. Taking out everything we would need. I asked Ash to get the bread from the bread box and started assembling sandwiches, singing A Part Of Your World under my breath. While I was on sandwich duty, Ash was washing and cutting fruit up for the fruit salad. Soon enough I was finished assembling the sandwiches, sprinkling some last touches of oregano on the bread. I went to the fridge and searched for lemon juice to add to the fruit salad to make it stay fresh longer.

I found the lemon juice and brought it over to Ash, humming A Whole New World as I went.

"What's this for?" Ash asked me.

"If you put it in the salad and mix it in, the fruit won't brown as early." I explained with a soft smile. Ash nodded his head and added a bit of the lemon juice, handing it back to me when he was finished. As I put it back in the fridge I started singing A Million Dreams. Hearing the tea kettle whistle, I took it off the stove and prepared the tea. I hopped up on a kitchen stool singing while waiting for the tea to steep.

"You know Ollie, you have a really nice voice." Ash said into the silence of the room after I finished the song.

"Holy guacamole batman!!" I yelled while clutching my chest. I forgot I wasn't alone! Ash let out a raspy laugh. Smiling at me from across the kitchen island.

"We should bring the boys their tea and some towels so they can be dry in time for lunch." Ash said. I nodded and helped him serve the tea into tea cups and place them on a tray. I carried the tray while Ash went and got towels. When Ash found the towels we went out together to gather the boys.

"Look!" Shouted Jaime and Alex simultaneously. "Ollie's come with tea."

"Oh, and Ash too." Alex and Jamie once again said together.

"Jeez, thanks guys. Feeling the love right now." Ash said with a roll of his eyes. Passing out the towels to the boys and whacking Jamie and Alex with theirs on their booties. I giggled as I passed out the tea.

"Careful, it's very hot." I warned Rowan.

"Ow! Hot!" Exclaimed Jaime. I sighed and shook my head.

"I just warned you." I said with a smile to Jaime.

"Hehe, oops." Jaime replied while rubbing the back of his head. I rolled my eyes playfully at Jaime.

"Once you guys are dry enough head inside and change. Oliver and I made lunch." Ash said. He then took the tray from me with one hand and grabbed my hand with his other one, leading me back inside to the kitchen.