five

nothing too extreme but there's blood in this chapter (it's not really descriptive either but I thought I should add a warning)

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Growing up, joining the Shogunate was the last thing on your mind. In fact, you never really considered becoming a soldier at least once, you were more into art; you wanted to become a painter, or an illustrator. You never expected to become a Shogunate soldier.

But your plans had to change once you turned eighteen- the debts on your father's back kept increasing, and he was just a retired middle-aged man. So you dropped your plans of working as a future artist and joined the Shogunate once you found out that applications were open. Mastering the art of the sword and spear made it much easier for you.

Your father never approved of you letting go off your dream and joining the Shogunate just to help him with his debts, but once he saw how much you insisted on helping him, he left you to do your thing. You'd have to admit, becoming a soldier wasn't as fun or as nice as you thought.

When you joined them, you swore your loyalty to the Raiden Shogun, swearing to obey her every order, even if you personally were against it.

Then the Vision Hunt Decree started, you were thankfully spared of being one of its victims, but the same couldn't be said for other people- like your father. Your father was a hydro vision bearer, much to his dismay when the decree started.

And when you personally had to confiscate his vision, you started telling yourself that being a Shogunate soldier was not worth it- you'd rather be deep in debt than become an oppressor's lackey, but you were in too deep to quit. Especially after you became one of the Shogun's Okuzumeshuu.

You've seen what happens to people who lose their visions, your father was an example. You had a feeling you'll suffer the same fate soon, because you were currently on your way to Tenshukaku.

Her Excellency had summoned you again, and you knew that this was going to be the last time you'd be in her residence, because you'd either get killed, or run away.

Kujou Sara never spoke to you after the fight in Yashiori Island, and you had a feeling she told the Archon that, not only were you not doing your job, but you also protected one of the enemies and attacked your own men.

None of this was worth it- Fighting for the Shogun was not worth it.

Her deep purple eyes glowed as they stared at you like a predator stalking its prey, you couldn't help the uneasiness and fear you felt. You had your hands in tight fists, contemplating running out of Tenshukaku and never coming back.

"I gave you a second chance, (y/n)." Her voice boomed through the walls of the room, the multiple soldiers in the room staring at you with weapons held tightly in their hands.

With fear visible on your face, you didn't reply. You looked like you just saw a ghost, but this was the Raiden Shogun, not a ghost. This was your god, who'd kill you in the blink of an eye. Your heart hammered against your chest, shaky breaths leaving your slightly parted lips, and you felt your knees getting weak.

Her tone terrified you to the core.

"So you've been giving people their confiscated visions, and you're helping prisoners escape." She spoke as she made her way to you, taking slow steps.

Your breath hitched in your throat once you heard her, "Wh- What?" You muttered, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. You know well that you've never done that, you know better than to do that. But...