six

The sound of beach waves crashing against each other echoed in your ears, and it sounded faint- Like the waves were far away from you, and with each passing second, the buzzing of the waves got louder. You slowly opened your eyes once you felt something wet on your fingers, and you looked ahead of you to see a beach.

You were lying on your side, your hand dipped in the waves that were gently crawling to the shore. Inhaling the salty scent of the sea, you didn't move from your position, still looking ahead of you at the water, then you brought your bandaged hand to shield your eyes from the sunlight.

Low hums and soft whispers replaced the buzzing of the sea in your ears, and you slowly turned around to your other side, your gaze now falling on your crimson-eyed companion instead of the waves. He was muttering something under his breath- a haiku, you assumed- and he was sitting cross-legged in front of a fire, seemingly cooking something.

Quite the sight, you shamelessly thought, your eyes never leaving his figure, until his head turned to you and his eyes met yours. A warm smile formed on his pale face.

"Good morning." He spoke softly as he crawled over to you, now sitting on his knees in front of you. "Have you slept well?" He asked, his bandaged hand moving to your face and removing the stray strands of your hair that fell over your eyes, tucking them behind your ear.

With your eyebrows furrowed, you pushed his hand away from your hair. "You're too bold." You spoke, earning a light laugh from Kazuha. Slowly sitting up, you took a quick look around you, then you noticed that you were in a small hilichurl camp. Your memory was hazy and your brain felt like it was foggy, but you could tell you were in Kannazuka Island.

"...I slept well, thanks for asking." You quietly responded after a few seconds of silence. Nodding his head, Kazuha returned back to the fire, before using his anemo vision to blow it out.

You looked at whatever he was making before, seeing a grilled fish on a wooden plate (that you assumed he took from the hilichurls' crates after you two pretty much stole all of their belongings). He must've caught that fish while you were sleeping, you thought.

"It's the only fish that was nearby, so it's not much, I apologize," Kazuha spoke as you sat in front of him, your legs crossed. "I didn't want to go somewhere else to catch fish and leave you alone." He said, placing the wooden plate between you two.

Awkwardly, you looked away and scratched your nape. He was being too nice to you, you didn't know if it was just an act or if he's actually like that. But what you knew is that Kazuha is quite the gentle soul... Too gentle, thinking too much about it made your face heat up in embarrassment.

"It's alright..." You responded, your eyes now boring into the beach waves near you. You thought you were just a burden on Kazuha now, defenseless, weaponless, and injured. You were desperately hoping you'd reach the resistance camp by tomorrow, it's been two days since you left Narukami Island.

Hearing a hum coming from Kazuha, you looked at him, seeing that he cut the fish in half and now he was offering you a wooden fork. From the hilichurls' belongings too, you assumed.

Taking the fork from him, you stared at it with furrowed eyebrows. You looked like you were in deep thought, at least that's what Kazuha thought.

Once you heard Kazuha's humming, you immediately looked up from the fork in your hand and at him.

"What's wrong? Not hungry?" He spoke with a smile, but there was something to that smile that you couldn't tell. "Or do you want me to feed you? You know I wouldn't mind, you're injured and all." He teased, and you immediately scowled and gripped the fork tightly in your hand.