19

I don't know how to do it

My mind roiled with ideas as I trudged to my room so early in the morning. It's been days since I last saw Jule . I couldn't exactly face her with the knowledge that she's probably going to vanish soon ingrained in my brain. I haven't told her about it. I haven't told her about the letter either. I just don't have it in me.

Having nothing in me would get me nowhere.

I pushed the door open, revealing the first period room I see every morning. I shuffled to my assigned seat, taking note of how similar the wooden, brown seats, the whiteboard, and the curtains were compared to yesterday.

I sighed as I plopped down my seat and stared at the peeling paint. Eugene dropped by my seat like he always does, bearing the same message like a herald. "Hey, wanna hang out in my place after Will's practice?" he said in his thick accent. "Around 6:30?"

"Not now, Euge," I said weakly, waving him away from my view.

"What the—are you alright, pal?" Euge said, bending his torso to get closer to my face. I instinctively recoiled away.

"Wh-Of course I am," I said, pushing Euge away. "When have I never been alright?"

Euge looked at me like I was growing horns. "Uh, right now? You don't look alright," he said. "You're staring into space and muttering to yourself. Also, you've never been this glum and dark since the Pineapple Incident."

"Don't talk about the Pineapple Incident," I said, shoving him off my desk. Why is he even bring that up? It's stuff from middle school. I don't even know why it was an inside joke between us. "Honestly, Euge. I'm fine."

"Does being alright include avoiding your friends?" Janice said, her voice audible even though she's still by the door. I knitted my eyebrows. When have I avoided them? They wouldn't be able to remember if I did.

Janice came by my desk and frowned at my probably quizzical look. "Come on, don't play dumb with me," she said. "Euge cares for you. That's why he's asking."

I scowled. "I answered already," I said. "I told him I was fine."

Janice snorted. "When does 'I am fine' really justify what we've been feeling?" she said. "Come on, spill."

"I..."

"Hey guys!" Aubrey's cheerful voice came from behind Janice. Oh good. Saved by Aubrey. I guess I owe her one. "What's happening?"

Janice rolled her eyes. "I'm convincing Rom to open up," she said. "He's clearly hiding something."

Aubrey raised an eyebrow. "Oh?" she said. She gave me a quick look and turned back to Janice. "Yeah, he's not alright."

I raised my hands. "Hold on," I said. "What makes you think I'm not alright? I'm fine!"

"Shut it, Rom," Aubrey said. "You're looking glum today. I've never seen you this glum since the Pineapple Incident."