21

The girl woke up from a dream that felt longer than the night itself

Her eyes flew open, the dream flitting away from her grasp. All she could tell was that it was blissful and it was with a boy she hadn't seen before.

She swung her legs off her bed and slapped her cheeks in an attempt to wake her brain. It's the first day of school today and she has to make the best impression on the students in her new school at St. Kingston's College as a transfer.

To do that, she had to choose from three different outfits that she was sure would make her stand out and at the same time, blend in with the crowd.

She trudged to her dresser and opened it. Hanging from there in three separate hangers were her featured outfits. She pulled out the first hanger with a simple shirt and denim jeans in it. She shook her head. That's not going to do.

She tossed the hanger upon her bed and took the second one. It's a dress. Ew no. Dresses were prone to malfunctions and she couldn't afford having one when she was in a new environment. Granted, she was susceptible to making mistakes whenever she's nervous or scared.

Well, today, she's nervous.

So, picking the third and last hanger, she decided to make a compromise and wear the most comfortable outfit she could possibly find herself in.

Like clockwork, she took a shower, dried her hair, and put on her chosen set. She did a little happy dance in front of the mirror, enjoying her view of herself in a gray hoodie with an indie band's logo printed on the front and a black Nike track pants. She tramped to the side of her room where her multiple pairs of shoes lay and picked out her favorite Adidas running shoes.

Pink never looked good with both black and gray but she didn't care. If anything, she wanted to feel as comfortable in her skin as she could and this get-up was the only thing that could do that, no matter how weird it was.

She combed through her hair, the light brown strands falling to her waist. Should she have it trimmed? She'd been itching for shorter hair lately.

She tied her hair up in a ponytail with a rubber band she dug from her vanity. Then, she popped her rose-gold-rimmed glasses into her eyes, grateful that she could see a little clearer with them. She applied a little tint to her lips and a little blush to her cheeks.

She smiled at herself from her mirror once more. She's set to go. She retrieved her white Nike cap from her bed post and headed out of her room.

The whole first floor smelled like omelette the moment she made it to the last step of the stairs. Dad must be cooking again. She loved his omelettes.

"Morning, sweet," Dad said, his voice jolly and soft. "Ready for school?"

She shrugged. "Dreading it but somehow excited as well," she replied. "Are you sure you'll be able to drop me off? You might be late."