11

Chapter 9

The Return

The Watchtower

Superheroes aren't generally known to gossip; otherwise, secrets that should have been kept secret get out. Still, after a few weeks, the fact that Ben and Kara were dating wasn't so much rumor as it was common knowledge. Anyone in the Justice League who'd seen the two heroes together could tell that they were already close, and many Leaguers had secretly suspected that they'd been dating long before they actually were.

Most of the older heroes were impressed with how professionally the two acted while on the Watchtower or on a mission. Save for the occasional kiss between them, you'd never be able to tell that they were anything more than friends.

The dates went well between them, both just happy to be in the others' company. Most of the time they either went out to dinner or watched movies at Ben's house (they would have gone to the Kent house for movies too, save for the fact that the elder Kents didn't have any movies that they liked). Still, anyone who knew Ben's past was happy for him; while he had improved in the months since he arrived in the universe, he had still seemed off to those who knew him. Now, though, he was upbeat and happy, so much so that it was palpable.

At the moment, however, Ben wasn't really that happy; mostly because his girlfriend was tossing him around the training room like a rag doll.

"Lemme tell ya something, Supergirl!" Rath yelled, "Rath does not appreciate it when you punch Rath and then fly away! Rath can't fly!"

Supergirl only laughed; she and Ben had sparred several times, and she'd always beaten him easily. She'd never gone against some of his most powerful aliens, like Way Big, but Ben himself had admitted that Way Big might have a tough time against a Kryptonian.

"Come on, Ben!" she shouted down from the top of the training room, "We've got monitor-duty in five minutes!"

Rath grunted. "Fine, Rath was going easy on you anyway." Then he slapped the Ultimatrix dial.

"DIAMONDHEAD!"

As Supergirl floated down to the ground, she gave a cocky smile. "Were you really going easy on me as Rath?"

Diamondhead laughed. "Nah, Rath just likes to bluster when he loses."

Supergirl shared the laugh as they entered the elevator. As they went up to the monitor section of the Watchtower, she asked, "So, are we still on for dinner tonight?"

Diamondhead smiled. "Of course; I wouldn't miss it."

As they reached their destination, they saw that Green Lantern and the Martian were speaking to a small, blue alien on a vid-screen. He was one of the Guardians of the Universe, and Green Lantern's boss. Green Lantern was currently arguing with the small alien about trying to get a temporary reassignment to Oa, the homeworld of the Guardians and the Green Lantern Corps. However, John had been denied the posting every time.

Diamondhead and Supergirl were passing the arguing group when alarms began to sound on the Oa side of things.

"What's going on?" asked a concerned Green Lantern.