28

I Am Legion

New York City

Sirens blaring, a swarm of police cars chased a hijacked armored police van. One of the lead cars was brought to a halt when an officer was thrown bodily out of the back of the van, hitting the car's windshield. In the driver's seat, the man who stole the van glanced at the side-view mirror and scowled.

"What?" Lex Luthor asked to the empty passenger seat; after listening to another side of a conversation, he snapped, "I know! I'm going as fast as I can!"

Several times throughout the chase, police cars would pull alongside Luthor's van, only to be sideswiped off the road. Finally, the van crashed through a large sign, causing Luthor to lose control and crash, finally stopping upside-down.

Wincing from the injuries he's sustained from the crash, Luthor hobbled out of the van and into an alley, his feet still chained at the ankles. A group composed of police, SWAT, and Federal Agents followed him, but didn't have far to go; the alley was a dead-end.

"Luthor!" the would-be escapee turned to see the group leveling weapons at him, while a man with a thin moustache stepped forward.

"Don't make any sudden moves; it's over."

Seeing several officers move in to arrest him, and with nowhere else to go, Luthor gave a defeated sigh and raised his hands over his head. But before he could be taken into custody, a black portal appeared in the solid wall behind him, and an arm pulled him through. The law enforcement fired, but by then, Luthor was gone.

...

Unknown Location

Lex Luthor sped through a swamp, sitting on a hover-bike piloted by The Key, a thief in an orange and black jumpsuit that used advanced technology to accomplish his various thefts. Neither man said anything as they traveled, but Luthor's mind was already working overtime to figure out why he'd been rescued. He'd never had any past associations with The Key; therefore, the man didn't owe him any favors. So why had he helped him?

Finally, The Key reached their apparent destination, an open stretch of swamp. As Luthor hopped off the hover-bike, The Key made a grand gesture.

"Here we are, Mr. Luthor; your benefactor is looking forward to meeting you."

Now Luthor figured it out; whoever The Key worked for wanted him for something, something important to risk freeing such a well-guarded man as himself.

"Does the mystery man have a name?" Luthor asked.

"No reason to be insulting, Lex," a baritone voice called out; Lex turned to see a large gorilla stride out of a group of trees, walking on only his back feet.

"I'm far superior to any man."

"Grodd," Luthor's eyes narrowed at Gorilla Grodd, "I appreciate the help, but gratitude only goes so far; I'm not interested in working with you, or anyone else."

"I think you'll change your mind," Grodd replied, as he pressed a button on a small device in his hand, "once you've seen what I have to offer."

Behind them, a cloaking field was disabled, and a large base appeared; it was painted black with red lines across it, resembling a cross between a jellyfish and a human skull. At the front of the base, a large door opened; behind it, dozens of supervillains stood, staring expectantly at Luthor.