31

To Another Shore

The Watchtower

The news of Ben's proposal to Kara spread like wildfire through the Justice League, and the couple was flooded by congratulations. It wasn't just the League that sent well wishes, however; once Verdona found out that her grandson was getting married, after allowing herself to be giddy for a while, she sent a message to Ben's friends back in his universe to let them know what happened, as well as Ben's invitation to the wedding.

As for the wedding itself, it wound up being organized by most of the female members of the League, led by Batgirl, who was beside herself with excitement over both her best friend's wedding, as well as being named the Maid of Honor; the men of the League, on the other hand, did their best to stay out of their way. Unlike with Green Arrow and Black Canary's wedding, which had been very sudden, there was plenty of time to get ready. Speaking of Green Arrow and Black Canary, both had been named as a groomsman and bridesmaid respectively; Diana had accepted Kara's invitation to be her second bridesmaid, and Bruce Wayne had ended up being Ben's other groomsman, much to everyone's surprise.

"I still think it was weird that he accepted while giving me a Bat-glare," Ben had commented later.

Even though the wedding was going to be prepared quickly, there was still the issue of finding a date that everyone could attend; the League was constantly busy, and it was difficult to find a day off for every member. Still, that didn't stop the Leaguers from talking about it whenever they got the chance, which was what Ben, Green Arrow, J'onn and Mister Terrific were currently discussing.

"So, has Kara gone dress-shopping yet?" Green Arrow asked.

"I think so," Ben replied, "she came home a few days ago with a package, but she moved too fast for me to get a look at what it was."

"Definitely a dress," Mister Terrific said, not looking up from his computer. Ben didn't mind; Mister Terrific wasn't being rude, he was just smart enough to do a dozen things at once.

"I have a question," J'onn said, "will… will your grandmother be attending, or will she be called in to save something in your universe again?"

This caused even Mister Terrific to look up in surprise; why was J'onn so interested in what Ben's grandma was doing?

Ben tried his best to hide a smile; Verdona had, in fact, asked if J'onn was going to attend, or if he was going to be stuck on the Watchtower again. Ben wasn't sure when his grandmother had taken an interest in the Martian, but it was nice to see her moving on, just like him.

"She told me she would be there," Ben said, finally giving up on hiding his smile, "but she was hoping that a certain green alien would save her a dance."

J'onn stood up a little straighter. "Ah, I see; then I will do my best to attend."

The other three men all snickered, until a voice behind them called out.

"Something funny?"

Green Arrow turned, then gave a wolf-whistle. "Lookin' good, Diana; got a hot date with a certain billionaire?"

The archer was right, Diana did look good; she wore a smart business jacket over a stylish shirt, as well as a short skirt. For the first time since meeting her, Ben saw that she had tied up her hair into a bun, instead of leaving it flowing down her back.